Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I know Boga is the way to go, but the price is a little crazy and the best I can fine is $99 for the 30lber. No I do not want to spend that kind of cash when my thumb works most of the time but if I have to, I will.

What does everyone think of the Rapala or the Berkley lippers? They all say they are stainless, but will they last in the salt enviroment?

Thanks,

- Dae

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Dae- I tried the Rapela's couple yrs ago and it wouldn't hold big fish. Had to keep a few after be'n droped that were slated to be released. Also, it was hard to release fish beside the boat. the teeth got hung up in the fishes mouth. I took them back and got Bogas. Flawless. Just make sure ya use the thether:D ------------

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
hey dae... toss them bogas away, son.
if'n you use leader whilst jigging, grab top of leader with left hand, take right hand , and slide it down leader, to the head of the jig. grab head of jig , lift up feesh, and lip him with left thumb and forfinger. remove hook,with right hand, put feesh on deck, and stomp on him as few times, then throw in cooler, regardless of how many are already in there. if you get caught, blame it on whoever else is on your boat. this way you will avoid the fine, altho not good for lasting relationships with fellow feesherman!sander taught me this method!

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Even at 2:30 in the morning, the man is a classic....

Buy the Bogas, put a float on it, just in case, and you'll never have any problems. 100 bucks is probably as cheap as you'll find them.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Dae, before you buy one, check with me.

Mike has been using the Berkley gripper for several years. Although it doesn't weigh fish, it will grip them.

Ele

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
release of big fish

---The home made Paint Roller dehooker i posted about is heavy duty enough to de-hook fish in water w/o lifting out --If have high washboards use entire length of straightend out roller for a longer version --Cheap & very versitile--

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info folks.

Butch.... I figure I want a lipper , not just because my thumb gets worn, but because I don't want any of my digits bitten off by a Blue or the likes.

I got bit by a bluefish as a kid and I'm still scared of getting bit again. The worst is that the one that bit my was probably only 10 inches... The one's I've been catching in the last few years are coming in at 8-17lbs! With these blues, I don't see a bloody finger, I see a digit disappearing. :eek:

- Dae

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Dae,
I have a berkley thingy on my boat and use it all the time. I keep it outside hung to my rod holder 12 months a year no matter if my boat is covered or not. I have had it since they first came out. The only signs of wear that my Berkley has is a bleached out and shredded wrist strap. Other than that it works perfectly.

When I got into the big bluefish at the CBBT, we gaffed a few we were keeping for dinner and then began catching and releasing with the Berkley. It worked great.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Dae - For the last 6 years or so I've had the Berkeley on one side of the console and the Boga on the other. They both get a shot of CorrosionX at the end of the season.

We use them interchangeably.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I guess I got a bad Berkely. Lasted one season then the grippers started to cross over each other and get stuck in the closed position. Had to manually pull them apart, which was not good with rod in hand and fish at the boat and no one else aboard. I went ahead and got the Boga and don't regret it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i had a berkley lipper and it 's jaws twisted and dropped the biggest striper i ever caught! luckly i quick stuck rod tip in water as fish fell back in and was able to bring fish back to boat and land with my hand.berkley went back for refund and now have a boga grip. all that money for other stuff than at side of boat within in'' of landing you lose your best one yet? you have to ask your self if savings will be worth it when time comes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts