Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
This will be the first year I have the opportunity to go out of the little choptank. My father in law has a hunting trailer down there that I plan to use for fishing. I've gone trolling a few times out of there so far and have done well.

Looking into the rest of the year, what species come in the river? I've only fished from the bay bridge north except for trolling and am looking to see what else in in there. Any flounder, sea trout, etc? Im sure hard heads and spot are galour in there by June/July. As well as Crabs.

Any words of wisom would be appreciated.

Looking forward to some surf and turf - Rock(AM) and Deer(PM):eek2:!!!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Theres no fish down there after the early rockfish season. The rockfish leave and theres no croaks, blues, or flounder. No schoolie rock in the shallows either. Terrible place to fish. Whatever you do, never use peelers in that area, you'll catch nothing but skates. I dont live line but I heard it sucks too. Good luck man your in Gods Country.

·
Registered
197 Posts
out of lil chop

last summer, i'm new to the area, but boat goes out of lil chop......

i flounder fished from taylor's island and channel edges at entrance to choptank. caught no flounder, but some folks have said they are there.

you can catch all the croakers you want on the bar west of taylor's island. some big ones too. i mean hitting live minnow on a fluke rig big....

the spot run comes i think late may, june and was good for 2-3 weeks in the choptank....red 10 in about 20ft of water was where it was good. blood worms. lil chop never seemed to produce, but maybe i don't know where the good spots are yet

late summer/fall was fun as chit.........caught a 21" spanish, blues...all trolling clark spoons about 6knots around those same areas. once in awhile you see a pod of schoolies rock working at the surface.

don't forget the crabs, they are all up in the creek areas.

last fall there was guys anchored up on the points where the green markers are. i don't know what they were doing, but i assume they were going to specs or something. i don't know them, so i didn't get the 411...but i wish i knew

good luck. let me know if you get on 'em. i will be there this summer too.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
look around the ledges out in the open bay in front of taylors island and south for flounder.

you'll see breaking rockfish and blues in the river later in the summer. Fish the shallows with small bucktails for specks.

If you are fishing the bay its worth the extra few minute drive to taylors island to launch (as long as your boat has a relatively shallow draft)
If you are fishing the river, madison or slaughter creek is where you want to launch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts