Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all is included in the dry stack storage there? Is washing the boat down from the waterline included in the cost? Flushing motor? If not, do they have an area where you can do these things yourself--like a washdown rack? Is there a place better recommended in little creek?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kept my boat there for a little while. Staff was descent. Gets pretty busy in summer. Great locale to bay and ocean.
Downside,indoor storage roof leaks,cats will take up residence in your boat,they quit selling live bait,if its anywhere close to quitting time forget about getting boat out or put back in.Also the city of norfolk will tax you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also the city of norfolk will tax you.
How exactly does that work? I have my boat registered in Richmond (primarily stored, or whatever it says on the title). Do I pay tax to the marina that pays to the city... or?

Thanks for clarifying an expense I haven't calculated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you move your boat to Norfolk, you need to change the location of boat on the registration. I didn't do this but Norfolk figured out
that my boat had moved and charged me tax and a city sticker. It was not much, around $85.00. When you move your boat again
change the registration or Norfolk will send you a tax bill. Tax used to be based on location on Jan 1 but don't know if that is true now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm... I think you are right about the January first thing--at least I have heard it before. Can anyone here confirm or deny that? Assumably (dangerous I know), I will only store my boat there from May-September... So, realistically Richmond deserves the tax (which is already paid annually) as it will reside there for the majority of the year.

Wheres my accountant when I need him....

How did Norfolk "find out"? Sounds fishy!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I kept mine there for 17 yrs, but the last five at my house. Never got a tax bill from Norfolk while it was there that I recall. If you want your motor flushed, had to do it yourself, either in the water on a rack. Used to get three oneway lifts a day, water-rack-barn or rack-water-barn for example. They would usually spray the bottom off for you if pulling it from the water to the barn, but that's it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
You get three free moves a day. Normally storage to water, water to rack (for cleaning) & rack to storage. They are supposed to hose off the underside of boats before putting back in storage; this prevents dripping salt water on other boats and/or storage racks. You will flush you own motor...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just received a letter from the tax office in norfolk. They are taxing me for the six months I had her at little creek,no mention of having her in the yard. They charge by the Kelly blue book value in norfolk (percentage). Chessapeake charges by the foot (percentage). Either way if you can keep her at home do so. Sunset marina in hampton always gets good reviews. We just moved to a house with a pier and dock on the western branch. Love it. I'll never put her in a old ,falling down storage warehouse again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would not get wrapped around the axle over boat taxes to Norfolk. They are a pain in the a$$ but so is every other tax. If you can afford
having your boat at Little Creek then do it. Trailering a boat, especially a big one is dangerous. One blow out of a tire on my trailer will cost me
more than the Norfolk tax on my boat. Fishing is fun and driving up to my boat waiting for me already launched and ready to go beats
white knuckling 20 miles through traffic and fighting the crowds at the boat ramp.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I used to trailer from Richmond but moved it to Vinings dry storage 3 years ago. No regrets. The taxes are much cheaper in Norfolk than what I was paying in Midlothian. I really dislike the ownership at Vinings as they are simply out of state investors who don't give a rats arse about their customers. But for the most part the folks who work there to their best. The food at Captains Galley is very good (ya gotta try their tuna bites) and many of the other folks there are very nice people who look out for other boats as well.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I had my boat at Vinings for 8 years before I just had enough and moved to trailer instead. The folks working the forklifts and docks are great, it's management that's an issue. I heard from a friend directly who went to renew and was told to pay more, LOTS MORE, to make up for what they thought they should've charged him the year prior. Then there's the damage to the boats and management's reluctance to accept responsibility and liability for their negligence. For me that's a deal breaker. I know on one boat sunk because it wasn't supposed to be put in the water and was by mistake. Another Charter Captain having significant damage to his boat because of their loading negligence. And my personal two experiences with them damaging my boat over the years. The final straw came when I arrived to remove by boat and was told there was a balance due on my account. Being a 12 month pre-pay customer for 8 years I didn't see how that was possible. But wait! They wanted more because they thought they didn't change enough over the previous year.

Vinings (formerly Taylors Landing) was the finest marine and storage facility in Hampton Roads. It's got a perfect location at Little Creek but absentee owners have driven it down to a point I would have a hard time recommending the VMG marinas (Vinings, Little Creek, Willoughby Harbor).

Think this was an easy decision? Try trailering a Parker 2820 on a regular basis. On the positive side Va Beach personal property tax on vessels is non-existent ($0.000001/$100 value), though I do have to have an Oversize Load Permit ($300).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Little Creek did the same thing to us. Wanted more money. They also left my boat out in the rain,overnight,because I came in 10 minutes before closing. Thank god for automatic bilge pump. Was informed by the management I should have come in earlier.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Management my ass. I'm a hard working ,fishing lover who pays his bills and dues. I don't appreciate being told one thing and something totally different happens. I have plenty of complaints about little creek marina.
I work for myself and I treat my clients home and businesses like it's my own. I expect the same in return.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
10min before closing is BEFORE closing! Sounds like they should adjust hrs to better handle customers needs.
Or tell the customer verbally and in writing, to have boat at dock, a min of 30min early in order to insure it is properly stored.
tournament weigh in closes at 6 --- really its 10 min to 6, but don't tell anyone!

·
Registered
235 Posts
10min before closing is BEFORE closing! Sounds like they should adjust hrs to better handle customers needs.
While I would love longer hours at all the Boatels I have used in MD and VA, I accept that they must be closed some of the time to keep my costs down. And all of them (including Little Creek) have told me to make sure I have the boat back at least 15 mins before closing. Seriously, how do you expect them to close on time if all the patrons think they can get their boat taken out right up to the last second? It doesn't make any sense, those folks have lives and requirements after work just like us.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts