Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys, first time poster here. Been an avid bay fisherman but I just purchased a larger boat and have been gearing up to try some off shore fishing this summer around the shoals and wrecks in Ocean City. What type of gear is needed for the shoals? Will the same rigs from flounder fishing in the back bays suffice?

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
You'll be fishing deeper water so you'll need a slightly heavier outfit since more lead is needed.
The rod needs to be fairly stiff but still have some flex in the tip.
Rods come with a rating but best to ignore that and buy a rod that can handle an 8 oz weight. I've seen rods rated for 3-5 ozs do well for this type fishing.

Most times - 4 to 12 ozs is enough. 8 ozs. is an all around good weight. If current requires more then 12 - often the fishing is not too good.
The current can change in an hour or two.

Most guys use 30 lb. braided line with a 7-8 foot piece of 30 lb mono leader. This way - when you snag - hopefully the mono breaks , saving the expensive braid.

IMHO - it would be money well spent to fish the Morning Star or OC Princess 1-2 times to see how they rig up and anchor.

You'll need a wreck anchor and some marker jugs. Most guys use a standard 1 or 2 hook bottom rig. Snags are common - most guys tie up their own rigs with 50 lb. mono.
Some use diamond jigs - these work great but losing them hurts the wallet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thank you very much, all this advice is greatly appreciated. I'm still pretty early in the process of preparing for a trip offshore as I've only recently decided the new boat can handle it on calm days... I'm hoping to meet up with some buddy boats and try to start easing my way into this come May.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts