Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/B]Well, I'm excited to have joined this website and hopefully I will be out on the water before too long. Just need to know where to go for the fishing I like to do. I am from MA and was able to do some nice striper fishing (kayak) up in MA in the fall. My father was lucky enough to bring in a 50 lber....what a sight. I live in Arlington, VA (I know, probably a haul to get to the fishing grounds), and I truly enjoy surfcasting. I'm familiar with several different fishing techniques for stripers, but my favorite is eels at night. Any suggestion where I could get my line wet. I'm not looking for the hot spots, just some areas I can explore and possibly land one.

I assume that my first trip would be in the spring when it warms up a bit. Hopefully before long I will be answering questions here and not asking them. I appreciate any help anyone can afford. All the best out there and hope to meet some of you on the water.

- Fish n'Chips :fishing2:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Muscleguy...nice 5th post.

Fish-n-chips, welcome to the area and to the board. Apparently muscleguy doesn't fish the bay much to realize that the bay holds some outstanding fishing!! There is great striper fishing going on right now down at the mouth of the bay at the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Try the Narrows over on Kent Island, just over the Bay Bridge...not sure if there is any action now, but that place gets slammed when the fish are around...good luck. You can also "HO" on someones boat and eel around the Bay Bridge...but using Spot for bait is the ticket for live lining during the summer...good luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was referred to this board due to the distance from Arlington, VA. I've looked at the map and man, nearly got a headache trying to find areas that might be good. So many spots that appear to be decent for stripers coming in and out. I guess I'm throwing out some lines here to see if there are others from the area who make the trip out there. Also, I just came from Manila so i'm used to polluted waters :)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Welcome Fish n' Chips!
Some folks do well during the spring run from the banks of the Potomac...near your new home. There is a small park at the north end of National Airport that has a stone seawall that provides good fishing. The Potomac is tidal until above DC (at Great Falls), so there are migratory fish moving through in the spring.

If you have a kayak there are lots of places on the western shore of the Bay to put in. Sandy Point (Annapolis Bay Bridge) has some great fishing, as does the whole western shore all the way south of there to Point Lookout. I see 'yakers going out fishing from most of the marinas and parks all along that long stretch of fishy water.

Hard Ripples suggestion of HOing works very well...you will see periodic posts on the board for "HO wanted". HOing is going out on somebody's private boat as "Helper Onboard" (or lots of other names)...learning about the area, seeing Bay techniques in action, meeting some great folks, and sharing the costs. Its nothing like going on a charter...its going fishing with friends you haven't happened to meet yet. Some on beautiful fishing machine boats, some on beaten up old fishing boats like mine. As the seasons change you will see HO Wanted posts for going trolling, live lining, light tackle, flounder, croaker...the whole gamut of techniques and target species in the mid-bay.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Locations

Hey F n C,
In the Spring, take that kayak up to the Susky flats.
There will be other 'yaks out there.
Fish the bridge pilings at the Bay Bridge as well. There are other kayakers that fish it but be careful. You'll be fishing close to the main shipping channel in heavy currents and even if you're a "safe" distance from the channel, the ships wakes will eaasily swamp a small boat or 'yak. I wouldn't recommend heading out there unless you are really comfortable in a 'yak and take every precaution. "Buddy up" with another kayaker that's heading out there so that you can watch each other's backs.
The shallower waters around Kent, as mentioned already, are excellent and are made for 'yakkers".
Make sure some one's watching out for you at all times.
I don't kayak for all the concerns I've mentioned above but I enjoy seeing the ones that do out there.
A couple of TidalFishers and I were at the Bay Bridge on Halloween and there were a couple of guys fishing all the way out in the middle on kayaks. They obviously had a lot of confidence in their own abilities as well those of their fellow fisherman on the water.
I don't want to bank my life on the common sense of some of the others out there.

Good luck,
GScott

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Welcome to the board. One suggestion is to get a book of charts for the bay and keep it by your computer. Read the board alot and as you see places mentioned look them up on the charters. You can get a real feel for the place from your office. Then you can start picking places to go that are near you. As for travel, many on here have to travel an hour or more to get to the bay, so join the commute.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Since you live in Arlington, dont forget the great fishing in the spring in your back yard. Great largemouth in the Potomac, great shad in April near Fletchers landing on the Potomac and the occasional spawner rockfish in the river also. All grat kayak spots on the right day.

Jim

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I live in Leesburg and usually make the trip(1 1/2 hrs each way) twice a week in season. Can't change that unless I move which ain't gona happen. I could prolly get ya out some. Just watch for threads titled "Look'n for HOs" in the spring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Drive across the 14th street bridge and fish Haynes Point. Using a surf rod in early spring and cut herring for bait has produced some monsters in late evening. Not sure what the regs are but there are several folks that fishing there.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Also check out the kayak board here to see when others are going. I'd suggest joining the forums at www.kayakfishingstuff.net (the have a DE-MD-VA forum there) as well. And if you're going to head south in the bay, you can't beat the folks at Tidewater Kayak Anglers Association > Home for info (hundreds of kayak fisherman that are always headed out somewhere). You can see from my signature that I'm been known to slay a rockfish or two from the yak in my day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. This information will be very helpful and hopefully I will be posting some good results come March. If anyone wants to get together in a month or so, please let me know. I golf and fish, that's my life. Would love to get out there with someone who has local knowledge.

Take care and good luck out there....

Rob

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Rob I suck at Golf, but would be glad to head out in my yak with you, or you're welcome on my 22ft sea hunt any day too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts