Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find any good information or charts for Little Seneca Lake in Boyds, Maryland. It's located within 5 miles of my work. So when I get my kayak that's probably going to be the place I use it most to go fishing. All I've been able to come up with is that I'm going to have to pay a daily or seasonal fee and there are large mouth, tiger musky, and tons of pan fish. Nothing else. No recomendations on where to go, what to use... nothing. HELP!?

·
Registered
460 Posts
The fish spawn in fairly deep-water 5’-7’in the lake because of the water clarity so you won’t see many spawners. I like to fish the lake in May – June most of the fish have done the spawning thing and are getting back to normal. The bass and musky relate to the weed edges big time this time or year. The outside weed line is in about 10’ – 14’ of water and I fish the outside edge. Use whatever you like as far as lures, plastic worm’s, deep diving crank baits, drop shot rigs they all work, I only fish a jig and craw or pork trailer myself and do very well on the bass and the musky. Later in the summer the fish go very deep on sunny days, if its overcast you will get a good top water bite. It’s not a hard lake to fish you just have to fish a little deeper then some lakes. Most bank runners have been caught.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. The thing that I think is going to be hardest for me is that I'm not going to have a depth finder on the kayak. Maybe over time I will wind up getting one, but for a while I will not.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Now is a really good time to fish that lake. In the summer the hydrilla is so think that getting a lure through it is next to impossible. Maybe the secret is to fish much deeper like previously suggested.

But this time of year you can fish the shallows because the weeds have yet to grow in. Muskie can be site casted to sunning themselves in the backs of the coves. I've never caught one and have spent many a day trying. But one day on a canoe trip with a friend, my buddy hooked three and landed one on a ultra light rod, four pound line and a 1/16oz rooster tail in white. I was trying all the typical northern lures for muskies, you know the 9 inch jerk baits, monster size bucktail spinner baits etc and din't catch anything.

It's a very difficult lake to fish but sometimes you can get lucky. They offer night time fishing days a few times a year. The fish respond well at night. If you go night fishing when it's not permitted, expect to get a $50 parking ticket. Been there, done that but the fishing was so good it was almost worth it. Lots of top water action after dark.

Good luck and get that depth finder.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
From the bridge I like to head west and fish the coves on the southside of the lake. There are so many coves and they all hold fish this time of year. Just go exploring. You'll soon find that the lake really isn't that big but plenty big enough for a days paddle. There is a chart at the parking area just south of the bridge.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.