Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a lot of fishing for Puppy Drum (spottail), and trout in SC. I'm from N. Myrtle Beach, and lived in Charleston 5 years before moving to VA Beach. We would catch live bait, mullet minnows, menhaden and fish them in creek mouths, grass edges for reds and trout, even catch a few flounder. The most common rig we used was a Carolina rig/w circle hooks, but also did well with floats. Since I've been in VA I've had great success so far fishing the bridges for everything that bites!, this is a great fishery! I have not tried the ole' live bait thing in the marsh. Does anyone have any luck around here live bait fish'n? I know some good spots to catch bait and would like to get some pullage from some decent size reds...any recommendations? I'm thinking this would be a good backup when it's too rough for my boat in the bay. R/ Chip.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Coastal,

There is some pretty decent puppy drum action around here. There have already been some reports out of Rudee and Lynnhaven inlets. Late summer is when I've had my best luck. Cut mullet usually beats everything else for me. Carolina rigs just like you're used to. There's also a great big drum fishery here. We should start hearing about some bull reds in the next month or so, with June usually the peak time.

Al B has posted some good stuff on puppy drummin, so try a search as well. All in all, it's probably a lot like you're used to down in SC.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ross

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I have had alot of luck in Lynnhaven with lures and cut/live bait fishing for pup's.......mostly from shore in the back of creeks and fingers....all of the fish have been in the 15"-24" range and a BLAST on light tackle!! If you ever need a partner to go with let me know, I have a larger boat so getting in the "skinny water" is by shore only for me....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.