Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To those competing in the Nov 14-15 Colonial Beach Rockfish Tournament:

I'm working with the tournament directors this year to provide a live leaderboard during the tournament. The leaderboard will automatically update tournament results to the following website as fish are weighed in: content.fishdispatch.com/Leaderboards/CBCOC2015FallRockfishTourneyLeaderboard.html We are attempting this on a trial basis. The good ole fashioned white board will still be the Official Leaderboard and the authority for the tournament results.

The leaderboard also has the capability to tag pictures associated with your catches. See the demo version of the leaderboard that I have been using to test and learn how it works: content.fishdispatch.com/Leaderboards/CBCOC2015FallRockfishTourneyDemoLeaderboard.html ... You might find I used your name from a previous tournament or a picture of your catch in the demo version. The demo board is good to checkout because you will see how all the divisions will lay out as entries progress through the weekend.

Product Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot

So why are we doing this? I personally requested this so that our National Championship sponsors could get additional visibility via the leaderboard. Without our sponsors, we could not be putting the two boats in this tournament that we have registered. The sponsorship dollars allowed us to provide the "John Russell" and the "Jimmick Jr. III" both days of the tournament to Special Angler families free of charge. This is our goal for what we call our one designated championship tournament in our "National Championship" series. We try to eliminate the cost of the tournament experience for these families.

I have used this leaderboard system for our Special Angler Catch-and-Release tournament with decent results with a very complex rule set. You can see that implementation here: content.fishdispatch.com/Leaderboards/SpecialAnglerVMRCLeaderboard.html

I am currently beginning to populate the leaderboard now with registered entrants. It will save me a lot of time on Friday night to pre-seed this with registration data. I'd love to have any pictures you want to show in your "boat resume". As you provide your info, this list of registered boats will grow during the week leading up to the tournament. If you know your boat number already, please let me know. We'll get everything squared away on Friday so that everything is in sync when things kick off on Saturday. You can use this Google Drive form link to provide your info (Google Form), or just email me at [email protected]. Simply provide your boat name, captain's name, home port, and any expected division anglers (e.g., Lady, Youth, etc.).

Azure Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

The system has the ability to receive and process pictures you send during the tournament, so that if you want the leaderboard to update your team viewer with action pics, we can handle it. All the pics should be emailed to this address during the tournament: [email protected] . Include your boat number in the subject line. Your are also encouraged to take pictures of other boats in the tournament that you see out on the water. They would probably appreciate the action shot of their boat from a different perspective.

Here is an example of what you'll see in a boat resume that is automatically created by the leaderboard. team viewer

Product Font Line Screenshot Adaptation

We're looking forward to a great time next weekend. The fish seem to be cooperating and the long range forecast looks good. If you haven't seen our "Road to a Championship" video as a build up to our tournament within a tournament, please check it out here:

Best Regards,

Joe sends . . .

·
Registered
175 Posts
Joe, cool. Godspeed on all that. Are you guys also doing your "blue-force tracking" for your fleet like you have done in the past. I may want to tune in and watch ;-)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FishDontCare,

Yes .. I renewed our service with Fish Dispatch to run the Blue-Force tracking component for the National Championship. We use the service as a safety measure, so that we always know where each boat of the Special Angler fleet is in the event of an emergency. We have a number of new anglers fishing with us next weekend, so my wife Diana and I are dockside in the event we need to pick up any Special Anglers that would be needing to get off the boats at any point along the Potomac.

We also provide the service for the family members and the press who are not on the boats. We've had family members even overseas watch our fleet during a tournament.

Here is a snap for last summer's Dream Fields Spanish Mack tourney (below). The system has worked much better along the Potomac because the whole stretch from Colonial Beach to the mouth seems to have very good cell phone data coverage.

Are you fishing this year at Colonial Beach? I need to talk to the captains about whether we make the link to the Blue Force Tracking page public. I do like the idea that we show even the competing boats where we are, because I want them to shoot pictures of our crews as they pass our boats. If I knew that you were really interested in helping us, then I would share the link with you. If you can help our boats get on fish, we'd very much appreciate it. It doesn't take much to bring a huge smile on these Special Angler's faces with just any caught fish. That is our trophy ... and we try to capture as many of those happy faces as possible.

I will be dockside this year, and I will be showing the Blue Force Tracking page to those in the press and other "friendlies" on a big screen monitor. Feel free to come by and say Hi.

BTW, the service also has the ability to project dis-information, so if you think you will get an edge on us, think again, you may be looking at the bogus page :yes:

Joe sends . . .

World Map Line Screenshot Atlas

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't worry, I wouldn't consider my crew and boat much of a threat if we were fishing up your way this weekend. I'll pass this on to my other buds up there. Let me know if you will post the tracking. Contact me via the board messaging as necessary.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FishDontCare,

The captains were ok with us sharing the link. They don't seem to care much that the rest of the field sees their location live (I'll let you read into that what you may, i.e., even if you are on fish, you better have the right technique). Capt. Diebler rightly pointed out that the fish also have tails :yes: They can also turn it off when it suits them.

The link is here: http://content.fishdispatch.com/ReportMaps/Potomac-Tracks.html

You should see me heading down with the trackers to Colonial Beach today ... after that I clean out the tracks for Saturday and Sunday.

Joe sends . . .

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who helped make the live leaderboard a success this past weekend by sending in pictures and cooperating with our paparazzi photographers who greeted you at the dock. I have a number of updates to make on items such as the correct angler name. I'll also list the length of each fish since that information was recorded at weigh in. We still have a number of pictures to associate with all your catches and boats. If any of you want additional pictures tied to your catch or boat, please send the pics to [email protected]. Put your boat number in the subject line. If you want the picture additionally tied to a catch, put that info in the subject. For those who did not weigh in, I can still add your fish to the leaderboard via the "Picture Division". I realize a lot of folks may not have wanted to weigh in once they saw their catch didn't have a chance in the money.

You will be amazed to see how many shorter fish outweighed a longer fish ... that is what surprised me looking at the lengths compared to the weights. I think you will enjoy seeing that on the leaderboard.

Our Special Anglers battled each other right to the end of our season to finally crown a new National Champion. It was great watching this from my end this year because our dueling boats started battling via this new social media platform, exchanging catch for catch passed to the leaderboard system. I'll eventually post the timeline of what was going on during the tournament from our National Points perspective and how the entire season whittled down to a duel between two anglers.

We have many people looking at this leaderboard around the country (see snap below). This is great for us, because I plan to show this visibility to our sponsors so that we can generate more funds to make this event free for our Special Anglers. We had several new Special Anglers families fishing in this tournament who said they wanted to fish it again.

Joe sends . . .
Map World Design Atlas Font

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lengths have now been listed and the angler names corrected. I may have some pictures mis-attributed to the correct boat, catch, and or angler. If you find mis-attributions, please email Fish Dispatch. Over 130 locations in the US have now taken interest in this.

Joe posts . . .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Col.Beach Tourney

Lengths have now been listed and the angler names corrected. I may have some pictures mis-attributed to the correct boat, catch, and or angler. If you find mis-attributions, please email Fish Dispatch. Over 130 locations in the US have now taken interest in this.

Joe posts . . .
Nice job during the Tournament Joe.
Thanks to you and your Team for the hard work.

SaltEd & Matthew

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SaltEd,

You are more than welcome. Thanks for the encouragement. It was sheer joy ... and it was all made possible by everyone's cooperation in sending in pics and helping show off those fish at weigh in. For me, that leaderboard has become a mosaic of our weekend that I will cherish for a long time.

Looks to me like "SaltEd" did real well with two division wins and 5th overall. I feel your pain on 5th . . . that is where my buddy Rob and I ended up last year on Latitudes ... but we had division wins in the Special Angler Division. Not so this year .... both our kids were iced out of those massive CB trophies (although his daughter Morgan took the National Title). It was good to see new comers kicking some butt.

We're up to 178 cities now that have taken in interest in us on that board. That is great for Colonial Beach and I hope they can carry that momentum into the Spring Trophy Season tournament. More boats, could mean more prize money, and the fishing in the Potomac has been really good.

I've already put in a request for some other features on that board based on my experiences at CB. We'll see what happens.

Joe posts . . .

Sky Seafood Fish Fisherman Fin

Sky Vertebrate Fisherman Fishing net Fish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts