Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day!

Anyone ever try to LIVE LINE during trophy season? Had a friened who kept Spot alive all winter long for trophy season only to lose them in a live well that he forgot to turn on THAT day. So the question is Can you or Have you live lined in trophy season??

Ted

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I would imagine that if you "matched the hatch", and used live bunker, then it would work. We lived lined peanut bunker in the fall, tossing them at fall schoolies crashing the shore in shallow water, and they tore them up.

As for spot, being as they are not around yet in the early spring, I would think that they would not work as well as they would during the summer when spot are everywhere. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. Now if the peanut bunker would show up where I could cast net them.
there are no "peanut bunker" now they are just larvae at this point. it takes them all summer to grow into the size you are referring to. larger menhaden are here now though.
I didn't think that "peanut bunker" in spring made sense. All I've ever seen in the stomachs of stripers or foul snagged on one of my hooks were the big boys, about the size of a 19 to 21 Tony.

I'll bet live lining those things in the spring would be a blast; it's too bad that I suck as using a cast net!

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
They liveline herring in the Delaware River for spring stripers. Knew a guide who did this around the Trenton area, around bridge supports and other structure.
In the spring. This was several years ago. NJ now has restrictions about harvesting herring.

Mike

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
With slot limit - I'd be leery using live bait as likely to gut hook the 36 to 40 no take fish. When it was 28 and up - no worry as 99% would be over that mark.

That said - circle hooks with 3-6 inch White Perch will work along the 5 -15 foot edges near Sandy Point - I'll bet other areas as well. Slip bobbers and 1/2 oz sinker to get Perch below surface.

It might work out in the deep but a drifting / anchored boat would be trouble to trollers - or them to you.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Live eels are illegal to use for Stripers until June 1. As far as Herring and Shad go, they are illegal period. There is a total moratorium on them which means you cannot possess them or catch them or buy them or do anything with them.

I would think Spot, if you can get them now would work. In fact, I think anything live would work as long as it swims.

Ele

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am getting some BLACK SALTY's and figure I would give it a shot. I want to try new stuff this year. They are about 4". I will make sure to use circle hooks non SS just in case of deep hooked fish.

Ted

1 - 16 of 16 Posts