Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Will it be productive? Where are the best places to go? Should I just search for them? I want to try something different this year, as well as trolling.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
You can catch fish using a number of different methods during trophy season. The question is, How productive do you want the day to be? And do you want to keep a fish?Fish during this time are either moving in or moving out in the shipping channel. There are staging areas like the flats where they may spend an hour or day or two but mostly they are on the move. If ya can find bait or structure that will hold fish, ya can use other method sucessfully. Trolling is the most predictable method to be sucessful at this time. IMO--------------------------------

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
You can try to jig but the fish are so scattered it's tough to find them.Go back a few weeks and read a similar thread.Lenny Rudow chums up near the LP marker early season.Get his book-it details how to do it.Some years there are a few fish at CCNP but everyone who is serious -trolls.Greg on the Miss Susie is doing light tackle trolling pre season with planer boards. Skip

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey Zebby - naturally, I agree with Skip--get the book and it'll detail the how's and where's! That said: I've found that fresh cut (Not frozen!!) menhaden will out-fish livies in the spring trophy season. I know that sounds bazarre, but after fishing 6" to 8" live herring and or perch right next to the cut dead menhaden many many times, and watching the livies get ignored while the cut bait gets eaten, I've concluded it's a fact. Maybe the migrators are lazy or maybe the just smell the cut fish better--who knows? But, bottom line, during spring trophy season (NOT once the water warms!) I've documented catches of trophies at 8 to 1, cut bait over live fish. Also, note that Skip's right--trolling is (usually, not always) the most productive method. But...you can't catch 'em on 12-lb. test trolling, while cut bait/chumming will allow you to target them on light tackle. Enjoy - Lenny R.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Light Tacklle fishing

Last spring a guy was set up on anchor near where we were trolling. It was close to the end of the trophy season, and I expected he was probably wasting his time live lining. A few minutes later we started marking a bunch of fish and bait. These two guys were livelining perch with balloons, and I saw atleast 2 fish come over the side of the boat within an hour.

I marked the spot, and thought I might come back out and give it a shot, but never made it back out. I don't know if all the stars were aligned, or if the guy had a lucky rabbits foot in his pocket, but he was able to put fish in the box live lining.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Livelining During Trophy Season

Should we troll all day orgo for the hunt? Catching one of those hogs on a 14 lb test would give a great adrenalin rush.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Balloons

Hey Nut - I'd be stunned if that weren't me, I've never seen anyone else ballooning their baits for trophy stripers--was this near Thomas Pt., Love Pt, or just north of Deal? 19' TV powercat? If so--they weren't live perch, they were menhaden rigged to "swim" under the balloon. I spent a good deal of last spring experimenting with this method; got 8 in one day doing it; biggest 44.5"!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Must have been you. We were fishing just south of TPL near the drop off. I know I saw you boat at least 2 fish. We caught our two and rolled home because it was a Saturday and it was a madhouse around there.

We liveline perch a lot in the Susquehanna. Its a great way to catch fish.

·
Registered
12,808 Posts
Something to concider is trolling until you mark fish,than drop a jig or two down and see what happens.Cut bait could also be used.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes it works... Caught 2 big fish opening day chumming. Marked fish on the meter, droped anchor and chum bag, fish on in less then 5 min.
Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jigging For Stripers During Trophy Season

This is getting very interesting. I am getting an adrenalin rush. Any more experiences?

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Four years ago I was bank fishing from Sandy Point during trophy season. Got there at daybreak, baited the 1st rod with blood worm using standard bottom rig and threw it out. Turned to bait up 2nd rod when the 1st went down. 10 minutes later my trophhy (34") was high and dry and my day was over. I was back home cleaning my fish by 7:00 AM. Quite a few trophys are caught there.

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
Zebby-send me a B-mail.Your B-mail is not opened yet. Skip

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,747 Posts
<A href="mailto:capttomhughesatt.net?subject=Questions on the New 20" Catamaran">Downsizing or Looking for aQuality 20' Catamaran, Single Engine, They're Now on the Market
Wood Free and Supply a Smooth, Dry Ride (no more pounding)
Capt. Tom Hughes - Light Tackle & Fly Fishing the Susquehanna Flats

If I weren't guiding on the Susquehanna Flats I would enjoy going out of Chesapeake Beach, run close to the channel drop off, and fish with light spinning tackle and lures for stripers. After the flats season closed last year we busted some big stripers using this formula. Don't just jig the bottom use a variety of techniques and you'll catch more fish. Large baits like a 10" BassKandyDelight on a 1 1/2 ounce jig head is an excellent lure to start with.​

Capt. Tom Hughes
Full Time Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide
Booking Trips on the Susquehanna Flats

1 - 14 of 14 Posts