Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a place where it would seem that I can get all the mullett I could want, by castnet. Has anyone ever tried to keep them alive for long? Do they die as quick as peanuts, or are they more hearty?

Does anyone need any? I could probably get all you would want- from finger to 10# Horses.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Some people use a 55 gal., non-metal drum, with many small holes drilled in it, with some type of floatation around the top. Hung overboard along side of a pier the small sized mullet will live for a very long time. Great bail for stripers, grey trout and flounder.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had about 2 dozen alive in my bait pen off my dock. They lived pretty well but a few of them died. I think if you catch them a couple days prior to fishing they should be fine but they wont last all winter.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Dont know how long they would stay alive, are yiu still catching them this late with the water temp low as it is?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I found a place where they are still pretty thick. I'm still catching them.

cool, I would just want to keep them alive overnite, or possibly for a couple days. I could do the bait bucket thing, or maybe hook a pump up to them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A 7" live mullet I caught in my castnet caught us a 39" Rockfish at the third Island @4 weeks ago when the Red Drum bite was going on good. my other baits were too small and didn't get a nod from anything but Black sea bass and Blues. I guess we did better than the Drum fishing guys...we ate well that night...

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Mullet

They last quite some time. Just keep in mind they are filter feeders and need a good flow of water. They are much, much easier to keep than bunker. I too would take some to the 3rd island as striper baits.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
My neighbors and I have 2 55 gallon bait "pens". I have kept mullet alive during the summer for a week in those. I would love to know where you are catching them now...hot ditch area maybe:scratchchin3:

Ed

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, well, seems that they are great rockfish bait. think there would be any market for them? I could get as many as I want.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Im catching my mullet back in Lynnhaven. I go out at night and just motor around in shallow water and they spook and jump everywhere. Sometimes they even jump in the boat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts