Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my fishing money is for the purchase of a new spinning reel for LL.I know that Penn,Okuma,& Shimano have "bait feeder"reels.
Any suggestion on which model to choose from.And please base this on personal experience.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff-Red Machine-

·
Registered
75 Posts
shimano bait runner 4500 or 6500 I think is the best one out there Okuma second if you give me a penn I will give it back

9ball

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I use the Shimano 4500 and have really enjoyed it for LL'ing.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I use the Okuma ABF30
I second it. I have two of these and they are good for the money. They are a somewhat smaller reel which is good for summer fish. Okuma has a 20 size in a reel about twice the price.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
When I do some live lining I use them...I have all 3 of them...
Shimano is tops by far...I have beat these reels to death and they never skip a beat..
okuma fell apart after 1 season...I gave them away...
Penn....is OK....not as smooth and the smallest size they make is still to big....
I believe the Shimano is cheaper than the penn....
shimano all the way.........

·
Registered
846 Posts
I use Shimano 4500 and 6500's for fishing the giant bluecats in the James. These reels regularly handle fish 40-50 pounds with a 60-80 pounder or two thrown in each year. I have had mine for 5 years. I used them for eels in the bay for stripers. They worked great.

I also have a question for the board. I don't use the baitrunner feature. Two different James River guides Way back when told me to leave the reels engaged with enough drag that the fish sets the hook. I did that with Ocean Stripers and only had two out of many fish that didn't hook themselves. What do you guys do?

·
Registered
75 Posts
has anyone tried this new reel goes for about 149 looks sweet

Daiwa Sealine Black Bite N' Run reels offer maximum saltwater durability and performance, plus the advantages of Daiwa's Bite N' Run clutch system. Armed with a rugged aluminum frame, four corrosion resistant CRBB bearings, Digigear and a powerful multi-disc drag, Daiwa Sealine Black Bite N' Run reels are well equipped for battle. Bite N' Run allows a predator to take off with a live or cut bait with the bail closed, feeling little or no resistance. You're ready

tackle_2035_10547999.jpg

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
I might be the odd ball but I really like the Penn baitrunner.I have two and plan to buy two more.I like to target larger Rock with live spot near wrecks or other snaggy structure and need a strong reel.I use 20lb Power Pro and twist the drag down tight.Using 8-11 inch Spot under BFG bobbers on a baitrunner really works well.

Combine the reel with a med to heavy action St. Criox rod and you got a great combo.It is not cheap but if you can afford it- IMHO - it's the way to go.See Jim at Marty's in Edgewater - he can set you up.That's where I get mine.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have a Shimano 4500 and plan on getting a few of the 3500's. They are tanks.

Skip, I think you have the Penn "Liveliner" but everyone knows what you mean. They are sweet too, just a little more pricey. Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I might be the odd ball but I really like the Penn baitrunner.I have two and plan to buy two more.I like to target larger Rock with live spot near wrecks or other snaggy structure and need a strong reel.I use 20lb Power Pro and twist the drag down tight.Using 8-11 inch Spot under BFG bobbers on a baitrunner really works well.

Combine the reel with a med to heavy action St. Criox rod and you got a great combo.It is not cheap but if you can afford it- IMHO - it's the way to go.See Jim at Marty's in Edgewater - he can set you up.That's where I get mine.
If you're talking about the Penn Slammer Liveliner than I can agree that it's a very good reel . Just a tad heavy .

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Some days it is not heavy enough :eek2: - lost a few fish this summer that just overpowered the drag and ran down into the junk and cut my line.

The lighter reels are fine for open water but the junk I fish over leaves no margin for error.I'm not after 18-22 inchers - I like the big Rock.They fight dirty and will run under junk if given half a chance.Next year I plan to spool up with 30 lb braid.

Alot depends on where/how you fish.The lighter gear is fine for Rock in open waters.

·
Registered
75 Posts
one of the reasons I think I may try the new daiwa is the enlongated spool which has a decided advantage in casting length I fish from boat surf and jetty the extra distance may make a differance

9ball

·
Registered
49 Posts
From the advice of the guys at Tochterman's and previous threads here I went with the Shimano 4500. I can't wait to try it out. I matched it with a 20lb rod but am wondering if I should go with a 15lb rod. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
826 Posts
4500 shimano has a taller spool than the 3500 and the 6500 is kind of bulky. I own all 3 models with preference to the 4500. The tall spool allows me to flip the bail over and let my bait swim off while I prep another rod. As far as a rod I have 15-30lb and 15-40lb class ugly sticks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts