Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's Sunpaper has a story about a crabber off Rock Hall catching a lobster in his trap.It is reported that most likely it was released in our bay by a well wisher - rather then it migrated into our waters.Either way- it had to be a cool surprise to catch.

·
Registered
13,945 Posts
There are some people out there that feel sorry for lobsters in the tank and will buy them and turn them loose.:eek2:........it's just God's way of saying that you make too much money:clap:.............Gary

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now if I could just convince them to set them free on one of the wrecks I dive :D.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I remember when Sean Hannity sent a lobstergram to his vegetarian producer. She released the lobster in a freshwater farm pond, but was too afraid to pull the rubber bands off the claws. Poor critter died a slow, agonizing death as osmosis caused its cells to burst. It would have suffered far less in a pot of boining water, followed by some nice drawn butter!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Didn't think lobsters could survive in the bay,pretty cool story.Wonder if he ate it?

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roger - according to the paper , the crabber and his wife ate it.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HMMM - If I can get these wack jobs to go buy a few dozen lobsters - then convince them that I'll set them free........ :D.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got a crazy reply. About four years ago I caught a 25lb rockfish at Smith Point. When I got home and cleaned the fish, I found a small lobster in it. It was lobster about 4 or 5 times the size of your average crayfish. Go figure. Could that Rock have eaten that in the ocean and traveled to smith point?

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read a book about how in the 1,800's off New England - there were fishing clubs for Stripers.Long platforms were built out into the ocean and lobsters were used as bait.

No doubt Rock eat lobsters.The one you caught off Smith Point proves it.

Tough question is how long it takes for a Rock to digest a lobster in cool water.I know Rock can travel up to 25 miles in 24 hours if it wants to.I'm willing to bet there are lobsters near CBBT during winter.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Don't lobsters migrate to deeper water in the Winter ??? I know for a fact that there are lobsters off Ocean City. You can catch them when swimming off the beach a bit under rocks and such.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
KenY - it weird off ocean city.Alot of fish move inshore for awhile- then go back out deeper.Tog and Sea Bass can be caught off the jetty right now.

We catch lobster in summer just 10 miles out - the water down deep is 50-55 * then.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I've got a crazy reply. About four years ago I caught a 25lb rockfish at Smith Point. When I got home and cleaned the fish, I found a small lobster in it. It was lobster about 4 or 5 times the size of your average crayfish. Go figure. Could that Rock have eaten that in the ocean and traveled to smith point?
I don't doubt your story. Every so often, I catch a Rockfish wearing a bib.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--This was a Drought year --Probably a Mantis Shrimp --some people use em for trout & seabass , rubber Crawdads will some times catch as they look alike --Match the Hatch --Years ago watermen Targeted Sea Horses for the Pet Trade , Till a Rock Hall er got trompled bya Percheron steed --geo.a Percheron

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Everybody get outta here, there's a lobster loose! Ohhhh, holy cow, he's loose! Everybody get outta here - he's vengeful! Quickly! Cover yourself with hot butter and carry lemons just in case you have to squirt him with it and so forth, to repel him! Everybody get outta here, quickly! There's gonna be a tradegy! Oh, God! Ohhhh - Haaaah! --

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I remember seeing a story about this woman in MoCo who purchases all the lobsters she can afford from several stores. She then FedEx'ed them to Maine where they were released back into the wild. Maybe she had to cut the FedEx budget and got to thinking the Bay is saltwater. Maybe the lobsters can replace the dwindling crab population.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'd love to have lobster replace the Blue Crab. An even better species would be Dungeoness Crabs !!! Where can I find a buncha PETA nuts to buy up all the Dungeoness from the seafood shops and release them into the Bay ???

·
Registered
556 Posts
Don't lobsters migrate to deeper water in the Winter ??? I know for a fact that there are lobsters off Ocean City. You can catch them when swimming off the beach a bit under rocks and such.
I love it off OC and VaBeach. Its the southern most range of the northern species and the northern most range of the southern species. We get a little bit of everything.....from Cod to Cobia and Tarpon. Too bad the Atlantic Halibut doesn't make it down this far South.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts