Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in Richmond and thinking about getting my Captains License. Where might I go for the course?

Thanks,

Butch on ObsesseD

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Do a search there was a thread about it awhile ago with a bunch of schools and info..Brandon

The marines school is a good one !!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I went to the Mid Atlantic Maritime Academy in Va. Beach. Good school. There are others in Portsmouth and Gloucester. I heard good things about them too.

Good Fishin

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mariners School offers an on-line version with certificate that the Coast Guard accepts for granting the license - OUPV/Six-Pack (Captain's License). Has anyone used this online school?

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
I'd wait until after Tuesday to make any decisions on getting a USCG OUPV "6 Pack" License with the intent of running fishing charters. If the Limited Entry Guide Permit is voted in, your USGC license will not fulfill the needs to charter fish in VA.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I went to the Chesapeake Marine Training Institute in Hayes, Va. They do a great job here. The instructors were top notch making sure everyone knew the information before moving on, and the ladies in the office helped a ton with getting all of the necessary paper work filled out. If i had to take it again this is exactly where i would go. And instead of just taking the OUPV Six pack class, youd be better off taking a master 25-100 ton course. Its only 10 more questions on the final exam, and you come out with alot more. I ended up with a 50 ton inland licesne and an OUPV Six Pack for coastal waters.

Check them out CMTI.

Captain Jordan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check out CMTI, they will do you right. Do not settle for a OUPV license, If you can get a tonnage license get it. You won't be limited to 6 people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts