Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i didnt catch much i am looking for the spawn when des it happen at loch raven
there is a website that has hints anda map it also has links to lure makers and hints
the website is fishinmd.blogspot.com

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
I was there a month ago April 9th,a day after you were there. ...2 of us caught around 9 Chain Pike to 2#-3#+ and 3 LM. Bass to 1 @2# and [email protected] &3#.Missed as many bites.4 hrs. fishing.I'll be up there next week.Bass bite should be much better with still a good Chain Pike Bite.I don't target nesting fish,that's not my style.That's the guy I guided on the trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
The one thing I like best about the Reservoirs is that Bass Tournaments can't screw it up.There's still a peacefull place to fish without Bass boats flying past you 70 mph.If a "guide" that's guiding you is running an electric motor from the Bow and fishing..He's not guiding you...He's guiding himself.Old time guides ran an electric motor,oared or poled from the stern.You,the patrons are supposed to get the first shots..not the guide.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Hey Nick. I've fished LR for over 50 yrs. Kept a boat up there for 40 of those. One thing is for sure, the lake is out of balance. Been that way for around 6-7 yrs now. The pickerel/pike are out of control. Catching 30 a day while trolling minnow/spinner combos for crappie is common. All sizes, and some huge ones up to 5-6# too. It's good fun but they have really taken their toll on the panfish. Kevin (fishing cntr) or DNR needs to hold some pike tournys to try to thin them out.

As far as recent fishing, the lake just started to turn on before all of the rain a 10 days or so ago. As of yesterday the water is STILL somewhat stained but fishable. The crappie just started to move up on the wood in the past 3 days. I caught a bunch yesterday. Should be prime for them next couple of weeks.

As far as white perch, the pike situation has really put a damper on that. Just 5 yrs ago you could fill a cooler in no time trolling worm spinner combos w/o trying. Pike have wiped them out. I agree LR is a hidden gem, close to home, once you learn how to fish it. My boat sits on land right next to the ramp if you ever want to use it. Just let me know first. see ya

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
I fished yesterday as well.I got there around 9am with a friend.We only caught 6 pickerel and 2 bass.Nothing worth taking pioctures over.We had a lot of pecks from smaller fish,possibly crappie or yellow Perch.I used to catch a lot more Jumbo Yellow perch a few years ago too.I believe that a lot of the crappie /white perch/yellow perch and Bass have been harvested from a lake and that's why it's such a great pickerel Lake to fish.The fishermen ate em all.The fishermen put it out of balance from harvesting too many of them.The Walleyes were the first to disappear because they were so good to eat.If they keep removing the forage fish,the Pickerel will become stunted or it could become a cannabal lake like they have in Canada where all the Walleyes have been removed and the lakes only contain Northern Pike..I would say it's the best Pickerel lake in the state,better than Deep Creek Lake.I'm happy I live close to it.Come to think of it Sting Ray,I've been fishing there 50 years myself.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Personally i don't think it's over-fishing of the panfish. There are sooo many pike that almost every panfish that you catch has teeth marks across its body. Keep in mind too that the pike feed all winter long w/ no predators to worry about. Fishermen can't begin to put a dent in what these pike are doing. The lake is out of balance from the pike, period. Only when the pike run out of food and their numbers drop will the panfishing return to where it should be. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy catching em.

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
The fishermen keep all the Bass and Panfish and release the Pike.The fishermen ate all the panfish.Pike are an important early food fish for panfish because they spawn first.The little Pike get eaten up.The very best Panfish places I fish have Pike/Pickerel present.They keep the panfish from becoming stunted. Water Fish Gar Underwater Terrestrial plant
the 10in. Yellow Perch,11in. crappie,19in. Bass,19in. Pickerel were all caught withing 100 ft. of eachother.Ballanced fishery.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree.:thumbup:

It's not that there are pike there, it's the huge numbers that is the problem. I'm sure it's cyclical, but w/o pike predators ,it's going to be a few yrs before the crappie/w & y perch , bluegill come back in #'s.

Keep in mind too that half the lake isn't even fished (below #1 bridge is closed, and not many, other than bass fishermen, venture above #2). Also , limits on crappie have been in effect for yrs. So I don't see how a few pan fisherman have stunted a whole lake.

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
As indicated by another poster..I fish "Brush Piles" The conventional wisdom is to fish highly conspicuous brush piles with a minnow and bobber.Since 90% of the fish are supposedly in 10% of the water..Then a handful (10% of the fishermen) could clean out the lake of crappie with dumb luck alone..Pickerel/Pike have long slender mouths and would prefer long,slender prey such as carp minnows,suckers etc.They are stocked i ponds/lakes to keep carp in check.(a Bass nest raider)If you keep a bunch of Crappie and not Pickerel ,pound the brush piles,then naturally there will be more Pickerel ..that simple.The fishermen did it..not the Pickerel.I release all my fish except for a few Yellow Perch from time to time,maybe a dozen a year at most and 0 on most years..It's not my fault and I'm not blaming the Pickerel.There's too many fishermen keeping too many crappie.There's too many Hog fishermen these days and conservative limits are in line to support a fishery for everyone.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
There are far more spawning areas (submerged logs/trees etc) than you can even count. The trees on the shoreline make up a small % of the spawning beds.

White perch don't spawn in brush piles. They prefer moving water up above warren road wehre people can't get to them anyway..

I'm simply saying that the lake is out of balance because of all of the pickerel. They are not picky in what they eat. Most panfish have been attacked at one time or another and show signs of that. I've seen not one but 5 or so pickeral in the past two yrs swirling on top of the water w/ a 6-7 inch crappie caught in their mouth.

I'm all for conservation but sometimes things get out of balance due to other causes,natural or otherwise.That's what is happening to LR right now. Crabs too but that's a whole other discussion.

BTW -the fishing is still pretty good, just not what it was 5 or 6 yrs ago. peace

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
There are far more spawning areas (submerged logs/trees etc) than you can even count. The trees on the shoreline make up a small % of the spawning beds.

White perch don't spawn in brush piles. They prefer moving water up above warren road wehre people can't get to them anyway..

I'm simply saying that the lake is out of balance because of all of the pickerel. They are not picky in what they eat. Most panfish have been attacked at one time or another and show signs of that. I've seen not one but 5 or so pickeral in the past two yrs swirling on top of the water w/ a 6-7 inch crappie caught in their mouth.

I'm all for conservation but sometimes things get out of balance due to other causes,natural or otherwise.That's what is happening to LR right now. Crabs too but that's a whole other discussion.

BTW -the fishing is still pretty good, just not what it was 5 or 6 yrs ago. peace
The fishing isn't as good as it was anywhere years ago.In Roland Martin's Book,101 Bass Secrets,he describes the Fishing in Loch Raven during the late 50s when he lived & fished here.The Bass fishing was great back then.He says how he can't catch near the fish he used to when he revisited the Loch in the 70s.That was when Loch Raven was loaded with Big Northern Pike.Roland said it's fished way down compared to the good ole days.Those fish in the lower pics were caught in a tidal river of the Chesapeake recently.Waters change all the time.Loch Raven is now a Chain Pike Gem.I used to travel to the Eastern Shore Ponds to get in on good Chain Pike fishing like that.Now I can save a lot of time and money to catch them here.I don't see it as a negative,but I'm apparently in the minority.It's clear,deep,weedy, a perfect environment for them.It is also perfect for Musky.Musky can live in warmer temps than Pike and can forage on larger Carp.I'm sure they'd also snack on a few Chain Pike along he way.I'd like to see them stocked there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
fished there today , first time in fifteen years. I went with my daughters for crappie, caught some and yellow perch. Asked for the extra battery to have extra power to get up the reservoir and the guy said it is only for when the first battery runs down!!!! Maybe to thin the pickerel they should extend access for late in the year and earlier spring access. I also think the parks and recreation should allow for more permits. As a young man fished there 3 times a week, will now make time to get back out there.

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
It's the best deal in Maryland.Take this into consideration.Chain pickerel,black crappie,yellow perch,and white perch were all native to Chesapeake Bay freshwater tributaries.They were probably trapped in the reservoir when the Dam was made for Loch Raven reservoir.Loch Raven is a dammed up portion of the Gunpowder River.The pickerel probably realize that bass are an invasive species and would like the fishermen to help them remove these non welcomed intruders from their native waters.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,433 Posts
Back in the 70's and 80's there were a few pickerel and pike ...... Bigguns caught mainly in February and March in some of the deeper holes from Warren rd south ......... There was great crappie fishing and few perch ........ Bass fishing was ok but you could catch 100 bass a day using 4" worms .......... Mostly 10" or less though ....... 1 guy even made a video of it that he sold ........... But there were big ones around ....... My biggest was 6 lbs caught in a tournament ......... You could catch 5 - 10/hr just after dark fishing fishing when the grass beds are down ...... ( illegal now ) but I bet it will still work ........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.