Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Tidal Fishers,

I'm a long-time lurker who has decided to heed Brandon's call to come out of the woodwork.

To introduce myself, I've been fly fishing since I was a sophomore in high school in Arlington (that's 25 years ago, by the way) and initially learned to fish in Big Hunting Creek, Shenandoah Park, and Mossy Creek. After college, I took annual trips for 12 years to Montana and got a really good feel for the trout fishing out there until chronic drought, getting married, and the feeling that trout had lost their mystery made me shift my focus to saltwater. Since then, I've fished with guides in South Carolina, Louisiana, Destin, Belize, and Islamorada (the first time there on my honeymoon, no less), as well as with Brady and Bo. Two years ago, I bought my dream boat, a 2005 Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman 1910LT (the Slayer's Delight), which I'm still getting the hang of. My wife and I have two young kids, a daughter 25 months and a son 9 weeks, so I'm in that phase of life where I don't get out too much any more.

That being said, I still dream about getting on the water all of the time, and I've found Tidal Fish to be a great tonic for keeping my sanity.

I am known as "Slayer" among my fishing friends because of an unfortunate incident in a northern New Hampshire trout pond in 1986 when I was accused of driving the hook too vigorously into the mouths of small brook trout. I was dubbed "John the Fish Slayer," and the name has stuck. I wear it with pride.

In thinking about what I could offer that others might find interesting, I kept coming back to a tribute I wrote for the family of one of my dearest fly fishing friends who died almost five years ago (I believe the cause was addiction related). Paul and I fished extensively in Montana and in this area. He introduced me to saltwater fishing on a trip to Harker's Island, and I credit him most directly with making me interested in fishing the salt. What I've put together is quite long, so I've included a link to it, but for those of you who are interested, there are some good anecdotes about fishing Montana as well as the tale of a near disaster floating the South Fork of the Shenandoah. What better way to memorialize a friend than to introduce him to a group of people he would have loved. Here's the link:

http://homepage.mac.com/john.mcdermott/Fishing_with_Paul/

I've got a couple of other items and discussion topics that I may post in the future, so I'll try to do my best to stay out of the shadows.

--Slayer

·
Registered
576 Posts
Welcome. Checked the rest of your website out....purty dawg and A Comfortable Range is a good read.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I'll add my well come as well.:yes: Just post some good pic's. If you have been lurking a while you have got to know how much I like them. As for how you got your nickname. Bwahahahaa I would bet that there aren't many on here who haven't thrown a few fish in to their back cast at least once.;-) :D

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Slayer: Welcome to you and to your fine nickname. This is a great board, and when you meet the people in person, you'll know why.

Flying Fish

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

Boondoggle - I'm glad that you got a chance to check it out. Had you already read A Comfortable Range?

I don't know if any of you are bird hunters, but I've also been going to South Dakota to hunt pheasants annually since 1984. My brother Jim wrote a great book called "A Comfortable Range" (available on Amazon) that follows his quest to turn his dog Speck into a great bird dog. Here's a glimpse of what boondoggle is talking about (both the book cover and Speck with me on the Ft. Pierre National Grasslands in central South Dakota):

Saltfly - I love pictures as much as the next guy. Here are a couple to whet your appetite for what Slayer can deliver:

The Slayer's Delight:

A big redfish I caught north of Charleston, SC:

The biggest brown trout I've ever caught (22.5" at Slide Inn on the Madison in Montana):

I have a meeting outside of Philadelphia tomorrow afternoon through Wednesday, and I was thinking that I might stop and go shad fishing near Port Deposit on my way up, but having just seen all of the flooding on tonight's news, I'm likely out of luck. It's probably going to be a couple of weeks until I finally get on the water.

--Slayer

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yep, you'll fit in nicely with this crowd Slayer. Who do you fish with in Charleston ? Or,
was that a DIY trip ?

John

·
Registered
576 Posts
Since you caught that drum in Charleston, it's a spot-tail or channel bass but never a redfish. I do miss the low country of SC. It's where God goes to bed at night!

I skimmed the draft/copy of A Comfortable Range that you have on your website.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
hey I've seen you around. I'm sure of it. I don't forget faces but names.:rolleyes: bwahahaha Did you come to the U of M fly show when their was a show?:confused: And your right good pic's. Yep you will do fine here.:yes: :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Slayer -
we have a bunch of similar key words in our resumes...just out of curiosity, tell me who made that o/u and I'll tell you if the similarities are getting scary.
Welcome - you're going to like it here.
DF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JMadert - I used to make annual pilgrimages to Charleston and the salt marshes. I hooked up with a young guide in 2000 and fished with him for the next five years (until the kids came along and put me in a temporary strategic pause, if you know what I mean). His name is Chad Ferris, and I highly recommend him:

http://www.fishcharleston.com/

We have fished around Sullivan's Island, south near Beaufort and the Chechessie River, and more recently in Cape Romain NWR, putting in at the Isle of Palms marina. He had a Backcountry skiff when I first met him and then he traded that for a Hell's Bay Guide 18, I think. He's a VMI graduate who turned hippie. I brought my wife along on several half-day trips, and he always treated her like royalty using his Southern charm and calling her "Miss Anne."

Boondoggle - I never warmed up to calling them spottails. That always reminded me of a sunfish. I also never cared for the term "puppy drum" and especially not "dinner." I've always just called them "reds."

Saltfly - I went to the U of M fly fishing show for the last time in January 2005, right after I had ordered the Slayer's Delight and before it had arrived. One of my good friends is Jim Klug, the founder of Yellow Dog Fly Fishing Adventures. I hung out with him in the Yellow Dog booth for a couple of hours.

DF - That's a Beretta 686 Onyx that has a nice dent in the side of the stock that I put there one day somehow. Speck is from Al King's kennels in Arkansas (before all the controversy overy Llewellin genetics started down there, if you follow that).

And just for the record, in the picture with Speck, that's my favorite t-shirt I'm wearing from the Grizzly Bar on the banks of the Madison River. It's about ready to disintegrate, so I know it's time to go back to Montana to get a new shirt (although I had heard that the Grizzly Bar was for sale).

And now to show you that I really must fit in, I'm typing this instead of taking care of what I should have finished on Friday before I get on the road to Philadelphia at noon. In my fraternity (SAE Dartmouth), we always called this "punting." I'm afraid that old habits die hard. I may be offline for a while (starting at noon, of course), but rest assured, I'll be back.

--Slayer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts