Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I wanted to explain why I have been a lurker. I created an account with Tidal Fish over a year ago. I have not been able to post to any threads since then because my account was never "confirmed". I sent several messages to the admin and nothing happened until last week when my account was all of a sudden "confirmed". I only mention this because I have read a lot of threads talking about how this forum is dying and I wanted to let you know that there could be others like me who have been reading but unable to contribute!

Secondly, I would like to extend a big THANK YOU to everyone on this forum who shares information about the lower Chesapeake Bay. I am a married father of 3 who has been living in this area for about 13 years. I bought a boat in the spring of 2014 with the hopes of taking my family out on the water. The family was mostly excited about tubing and swimming, but I had my heart set on fishing! I found a deal on an older boat that seemed like it may be able to do both and I have been learning and fixing ever since then! This forum has been such a great resource to get started. I had experience with bass fishing, but saltwater fishing can be very overwhelming for a newbie!

My family is now in the middle of our second season on the boat and all of us are crazy about fishing! My dad came to visit this week from Oklahoma. He taught me how to fish on the lakes and I was really looking forward to taking him fishing in the salt. I will finish this "first post" with a report!

We went out Sunday 7/19 in the AM. We started at Poquoson Reef with some squid rigs. The croaker are still fun for us! We now put them in our livewell though and as soon as we had enough we headed to the York Spit area and set up to chum the outgoing tide. The conditions were not favorable as the wind was pushing the opposite direction of the current and the bluefish kept stealing bait. My dad still had fun on the croakers, but it wasn't what I had hoped!

We went out again Tuesday and my boys wanted to try for flounder. We fished some different drop offs and structure at the mouth of the york and my youngest son Reid (9) was able to hook up with 2 flounder. The first was very large...unfortunately I mishandled the net and we lost him at the boat. I was really upset, but I chalked it up to a learning experience. Luckily Reid hooked another. It was smaller, but it was still a keeper!

Last day my dad was here, Wednesday, he said he would like to catch a shark. I figured we should be able to catch sometihng chumming so we decided to do one more quick trip before he left. I'm glad we did! We caught bait at PR again and then set up to chum again. This time the current was moving and the wind was still slow. I set out 2 chum bags since we only had 2 hours. My wife caught a baby cobia on one of the bait rods and I thought "maybe he was not by himself?". About 5 minutes later all 3 of our rods went off! I grabbed a rod and a very large cobia jumped out of the water and then immediately broke off. My wife's broke off as well, but my dad was able to fight his all the way to the boat. I gaffed him (only the second time ive ever been able to practice that!) and he landed a 39" cobia! It was very chaotic (had 3 adults and 2 kids on board!), but we got the rods baited asap and waited another 20 mins. One of my rods was a medium spinning rig that was probably a bit small for this purpose (i spent all my money on the boat...fishing gear is expensive!). This rod went off and I grabbed it. I thought about giving the rod to my son, but I have never reeled one in...I always hand the rod off, so I decided I wanted to fight one...especially since it was on the lighter rod. It was a blast. Fish was just over the limit of 37", but was a great fight on the light tackle. Shortly after that we had a shorter 35" fish on the line. My other son Colin(10) took that fish (on the light rod). He mostly did it by himself and we landed that one with a net to be safely released after a picture.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to contribute back to this forum where I have gained so much knowledge. Tight lines!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Very Nice

The family trips are always the best to hear about and cool pics. Great read and good to see the family is hooked on saltwater fishing. Thanks for sharing the report. :thumbup:

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We were using chum bags from Grafton Fishing Supply. The croakers were used as live bait. We had some on fish finder rigs and some just free-lined. The free croakers still swim to the bottom either way. Seems like we had more luck with the free-liners but most people recommend fish finders. I think the fish finder pyramid weights help keep the bait from swimming around too much and crossing lines.

·
Registered
567 Posts
We were using chum bags from Grafton Fishing Supply. The croakers were used as live bait. We had some on fish finder rigs and some just free-lined. The free croakers still swim to the bottom either way. Seems like we had more luck with the free-liners but most people recommend fish finders. I think the fish finder pyramid weights help keep the bait from swimming around too much and crossing lines.
I put one sometimes two live croaker, spot or an eel under a float with a long leader and i have a 2 oz weight 18" above the hook. the float tends to keep the fish in one spot and ypu can cover more depths of the water column. Yesterday i missed a nice cobia because i reeled in my float rod and put it on bottom.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
you obviously live on the Peninsula. get involved with a fishing club....you will learn much and find comrads that share your interest and enthusiasm

look up Peninsula
Salt Water sp0ort fishign asso on the internet. monthly meetings. PSWSFA just had a free membership childrens and wives tournament and cook out at Dare Marina. winners received over $600 in cash awards. You sound very successful. come join us at PSWSFA

Bob Allen, longtime member and past presiedent

PS if you live in Poquoson,k there is a very active: Bull Island Anglers club that you will find welcoming.

RBA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts