Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next few days for floating/semi submered debris in the water. Logs, pilings etc. There should be a lot of stuff in the water that could damage your boat and possibly injure yourself and passengers.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
In the next few days for floating/semi submered debris in the water. Logs, pilings etc. There should be a lot of stuff in the water that could damage your boat and possibly injure yourself and passengers.
Thank you my friend! Your 100% correct. I have been thinking about when I should drop my boat back in the water.. I really had plans fishing offshore (near shore) the last 2 weeks .. Crazy messed up weather! its a real PITA but not worth damage to boat, or any thing worse, to take chances.
So glad the storm was not worse! On 10/3 I saw a good sized tree in water at York spit.. ( just from winds)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I live on Bennetts Creek and I watched a bunch of stuff floating out. From a tree to very large branches but most seemed to be floating across the creek back into the marsh. Glade the winds were blowing the stuff away from our shores or we may have had a mess.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
After a storm like this I went , knowing that debris would be in the water. I had three experienced captains on the flybridge looking ahead. Twin inboard engines. Nothing seen. I was running full bore off Buckroe when I hit some unseen object--as I looked astern into the wake, what appeared to be a barn door , each end settling back into the Bay after my boat had split it into two large pieces. The boat never slowed... No vibrations...no change in pitch. I opened the hatches and saw nothing had changed. After a mile, neither helm would respond. Steering was jammed. I could dock and guide by varying the engine/propeller revolutions. I took it to Smith Marine Railway in Dare. Next to Dare Marina. Both rudder struts were tilted back 30 degrees. Apparently the bard door missed the props, but just clipped both the rudder post tips...K> T > Smith removed the posts sent them to a machine shop where they were heated and straightened back to correct positions.. Job well done. LUcky !!

Another friend hit something off the Newport News Shipyard. not so lucky.
The hit pulled both shafts out of their positions. Boat was sinking..got a pump and help in time to save the boat (and guests).

On way to Canyon one morning, my boat began to pull to one side--had to over compensate to run in straight line. Stopped and discover a tree limb had lodged beneath the boat and the trim tab on one side . Think I got it out by backing down. Went on fishing.

One day I had my boat on dry land to have bottom painted. I noticed the through hull transducer was missing. I asked the boat yard why they had removed the transducer...They said they did not remove it. I got under and realized I had hit something and it had broken off; the stem was still in the hull on inside...I went inside and lifted the electrical wires and stem out with two fingers. Lucky I caught it and installed newe transducer ...I really do not know what had held the old one after the incident--which I never noticed hitting anything?? I think the bottom paint was the only thing keeping that transducer stem in place.

Stuff happens

Dr. Bob Allen Hampton VA

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Please keep in mind there will be a lot of debris coming down the rivers for a week or so. Also note that crab pots may have been moved too, they may be submerged or moved to areas where they are not usually found. Be safe out there.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
365 Posts
Look Out

Please keep in mind there will be a lot of debris coming down the rivers for a week or so. Also note that crab pots may have been moved too, they may be submerged or moved to areas where they are not usually found. Be safe out there.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Went out last night in York and encountered a 8/10 log, 12"in diameter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts