Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to upgrade tow vehicle, I know there were problems with the 6.0, however this one has 200k miles and appears to have had regular maintence and some extra work done, so I would like any feedback or input from excursion owners etc. thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I have a 2k 4wd Limited 7.3 PSD X and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Tows like a dream, plenty of room for the whole family or your buds and their gear. Mine has 219k+ miles and still going strong. The 6.0 definitely has a bad reputation so that is your call. Personally I'd try 2 find 1 with the 7.3 which is rock solid. My bud has a 2005 w/the 6.0 and hasn't had any problems but he has very low mileage on it, like 50k or something.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 6.0 in a 2005 f350 reg cab long bed, It has plenty of power but the mileage sucks. My father in law has a 2002 F250 with a v10 that gets better fuel mileage then my truck does towing. It takes me 5/8 of a 30 gallon tank to just tow my boat From Pasadena to chincoteague (146 miles) that's 8 mile to the gallon. Oh yea and now my oil cooler went up so it goes through 1 gallon of antifreeze a week. So my answer would be no on The 6 ltr.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I have an 05 6.0 110,000 miles and not happy with it. $4000 of engine repairs in the last year. Find yourself 7.3 and buy it. It sold an 01 7.3 with 335,000 miles on it. Wish I had kept it and sold the 6.0. I think you could get almost a 1,000,000 miles out of a 7.3.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Get rid of the 6.0 ford as fast as you can unless you have deep pockets for repairs. That motor has kept Ford service in business.

·
Registered
192 Posts
2003 was the first year that the 6.0 came out. It was brand new with alot of injector issues in those first years out. I have a 2001 7.3 with 130K miles and no issues except a water pump.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I sold them for 5 years. Dont buy the 1st year of anything in production...The 6.0 is a poor motor, later model 6.0's are a little better. Find a 7.3., I have one and love it...towing anything will give you sucky gas milage.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I like my 2001 7.3 as well, it has 142,000 miles. I just helped a friend buy a 2000 7.3 4x4 Crew Lariat with a cap and a 150K miles for $11,800. This truck was clean as a pin, but it took a few months to find.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i work in a ford dealer in the parts dept. on the back counter. i see all the vehicles come in the shop and all the problems. with the 6.0's they arent that bad as people make them out to be. well the 2005's and up anyway, the 03 & 04 6.0's were awful, between injectors, high pressure pump and turbos and head gaskets, i would defenitly stay away from them. but like everyone has said the 7.3's are great and the 05+ 6.0's were better than the earlier years. if you own a 6.0L, do a egr delete and put arp head studs in and new head gaskets and you wont have too much problems til the turbo or injectors start failing, which is gonna happen with any diesel. But whatever you or anyone does, DO NOT buy a 6.4L in the 2008-2010!!! If it were me i would get a vehicle with a V10, and gas is cheaper right now anyway, or just go buy a 04-06 dodge 2500 with the 5.9 cummins

·
Registered
38 Posts
7.3 is better choice! but if you get the 6.0 there are improvements you can make that will a real good engine . Plus fords transmission with the tow/haul opption are great. I get 15 to 16 mpg towing or not and on highway closer to 18mpg

·
Registered
294 Posts
v20fishnboy summed it up very accurately. I owned a 2009 f250 powerjoke - for a full 7 days. the trucks before and after this and to this day were and are all gm duramax with allison transmissions. It is the difference between a motorcycle and a moped. Ford being the moped. If you are not a GM man sorry. I hate dodge products, but the cummins is one of the best diesel motors ever built but mpoars have a poor reputation for great transmissions if you do decide to go that route. IF you are stuck on any ford diesel, heed what fishnboy said, he is spot on. just to add on to what he said, most ford 6.0's had head gasket problems due to people using power tuners, power adders etc without the head bolt/stud upgrade. good luck regardless!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The head gasket problem is from the egr cooler going bad and leaking soot into the cooling system and clogging up the oil cooler causing excessive heat in the engine, warping the head and blowing the head gasket. I am sure that the tuners helped a lot but that was the main reason for head gasket failure. I am doing all the egr repairs now at 84,000 miles, replacing the oil cooler and deleting the egr system.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
For those of us who have the 6.0 what can we do to keep them on the road and out of the shop. My '04 had the heads/egr issue at 21K back to the dealer under waranty for repair, no issues since then now at 85K. What should I watch for, any preventative measures to take now? Been treating the fuel since the rebuild/reprogram, filters and oil changed regularly...........

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kencraft, you can do an egr delete and get a tuner from efi live to tune it out. Some people do block off plates. Not sure if the plate method is acceptable for this platform, but regardless unless you want to look at the check engine light you would need to tune it out of the pcm. this company offers a tuner that will program everything. Not all tuners do this, so beware. Their products aren't cheap - so I would call their tech support before I went throwing big money down range. If you end up tuning for more power get bigger exhaust or beware of heat related problems down the road. an egt sensor also makes sense when you start going this route. good luck!

·
Registered
316 Posts
even if you dont do the egr delete on your 6.0's that doesnt mean you will have problems, all engines have problems, but if it was me i would do a egr delete, new oil cooler and screen under it, you can leave the egr valve in place it wont affect anything and defenitly get your heads checked and put new head gaskets on and defenitly get arp head studs. Another problem the 6.0's have is what ford techs call the dummy plugs, which are small plugs in the fuel rails that have orings on them and the orings tend to crank, so if you have a hard start or it wont start that is probably your problem. they also have FICM(fuel injector control module) issues. I work at ford so i love them, they break alot and i sell the parts which helps my paycheck and pays my bills lol but I WOULD own one knowing what i know with them. If i had plenty of money and could afford to build my own truck, it would be a 2011 F260 FX4 with a 5.9L cummins out of a 06 dodge with a allison trans. out of the new GMC's. if you have any questions you can pm me or email me i dont mind.

·
Registered
316 Posts
forgot to mention, that if you do own a ford 6.0 or 6.4, use motorcraft filters only!! aftermarket filters is another huge issue with the ford diesels

·
Registered
294 Posts
fishboy - that would be a badazz truck. the earlier allisons I had with the five speed shifted firmer and more noticeable toward a performance aspect especially when running a hot tune on them. don't get me wrong the 6 speed in my truck now is nice, very nice, and smooth, but when you hammer it from a cruise, it is like it thinks for a moment, gee... do I downshift one or two gears, or more, and then it goes. but the 5spd was like wham, gone and all you saw was smoke and everyone in the rearview mirror. The downshift and even the runs from a dead start are better with the older 5spd. The newer ones after 06 don't have the pto provision either. I never used it but very nice to run mechanical devices from if that is your thing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts