Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has some helpful info on C-Hawk's. I am looking at 20'-23' center consoles and they seem fairly priced and well constructed. Right now I have a Whaler Duantless 16 for fishing and crabbing but I can only go out on the bay on glassy days. Is C-Hawk the boat? Any suggestion for other makes of boats?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Saw the C-Hawk line at the boat show...and a beautiful line of boats for the money....and if I was going to buy this year it would be on my short list.

I really loved the 25 Pilot house...so wide and open you could run commercial charters off of it. The cost was low and the usability high. I used to berth next to a guy with a 23 CC and he loved that boat and ran the he!! out of it...pushed by a Yam 250 HPDI. Saw him on the water in October and the boat looks and runs as well as it did 8 years ago.

You'd be hard pressed to find a boat of that fisherman friendliness unless you looked at Parker, Grady or Ken Craft.

Don

·
Registered
63 Posts
Grizzdog,
I have 25 Standard Cabin. I had back surgery and had to pick a boat that didn't pound. It is very stable on station and does pretty well on the rough stuff. I've had her in 5' waves. No problem. Mine's an '89. They changed hands a few years back. So I can't speak for the newer models.
Doug

·
Registered
87 Posts
C-Hawks

Grizzdog - I have a 29 foot C-hawk sport cabin with an inboard diesel. The boat is built like a tank and can take anything that the bay can throw at it. If you were to compare them to a parker or grady, the interior is not finished as nicely but to me that is not as important as the fishability of the boat. Capt. Mike Smolek

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Owner of my marina has around an early 80's C-hawk CC around 22'. He uses the boat regularly to pull nets of bunker to supply local bait shops. It has a leaky fuel tank (that he by passed by using an above deck can) and it needs the deck painted but structurally the boat has stood up to his abuse. They are tough commercial hulls.

He also runs a 25 Maycraft that he swears by as well. Ken May used to be with C-hawk. Both brands are very similar in construction and design.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Fished out of a 23' CC for years... good, bay worthy boat... as someone said, she was a tank.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Have a 22ft CC. C Hawk is a fantastic line of fishing boats. No conplaints about Parker, but C Hawk is just as much boat for a lot less money. If I ever buy another boat it will (again) be a C Hawk.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have a 84 19 footer. Bought used with a 110 Johnson. Handles a chop well and seems pretty tough. Only complaint is that the transom is low around motor and will take some water over it when you're drifting in running seas.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. What does a mid to late 90's C-hawk 22-23 CC normally cost? I have been seeing some prices on different sites and they are anywhere from 15,000-23,000. I'm looking for one that is that is moderatly equipped with a good ff, gps, and a fish box. I also looked at the 20 CC. Are these big enough for trolling in the chop out in bay off Point Lookout, I been out there a lot in my 16 Dauntless but it is not a pleasent experience if the waves started geting close to 2 or 3 feet, this normally means im out there early and off the water early as well.

Thanks

Grizzdog

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I have a 1992 23 ft CC w/ 2006 Yamaha 4-Stroke 150.

I love the boat. One tough hull. I'm in the process of replacing the floor to make it a little lighter and also replacing canvas top on T-top.

The boat will be ready in March:D

I'm also looking at a 1986 29 ft. Blackfin, but plan on keeping the C-hawk..

Phil (lily):)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I bought this 22ft C Hawk at Tri-State, March 2005. Boat is 1998 and motor 1999 and trailer was new. $15000. Have two seasons on boat and motor with no problems at all. Handles rough water and stays dry, but I stay away from 5 foot waves!

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
Nothing wrong with the C-Hawk, but another option could be Kencraft Challenger. The 215 CC is tough boat that might be a little better at handling the 2-3 footers. It's also a huge 21 footer. There's a couple over on thehulltruth but they're late model and in the $30s. You should be able to find a 90's model in the range you mentioned. Much of the boat costs depend on the power plant. A boat with the original 1990 something "old Tech" outboard should cost considerably less than a newer fuel injected or 4 stroke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
222 sport C hawk

I bought a 222 sport cabin C Hawk in 2003 w/150 hp motor. Got tired of getting wet and no where to cat nap or ****. Really like the boat. If it gets rough, and I have baeen caught in 6 footers, it slows me down, but I don't GET WET. On a beautiful day, I can drop the hook and take a comfortable nap, then fish longer. Priced boat in md. but ended up buying in N.C. for the whole rig. 30K w/trailer, aluminum. Saved $3k by going to N. C. to buy boat.

Ray

1 - 15 of 15 Posts