Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:

I am looking into my next boat being an aluminum deep V wraparound windshield fishing boat.

Lund, Lowe, Tracker are a couple brands..

18-19' will probably do me good for bay, river and back bay (oceanside floundering).

Looking for something easy to tow with my GMC Safari AWD van.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Used would be best...

Thought I would start here...

Mike G.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I got a Lund 1800 alaskan. Tows from Hampstead to Rumbley on a GMC Envoy just fine. Strong well made boat.Goes in Tangier sound out to the islands and up the manokin fine. it wieghs 1900 pounds and has a 90Honda 4S. 3 guys fish comfortable. Grabbin crab pots is a little tough with the bench along the sides though.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
this guy (a tidal fish'r) has a used one for sale. Lots of hardcore fishing customizations already done.

http://buymyfishhawk.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Mike, the guy I bought my Aquasport from a few years ago boat a Tracker as a "comfort upgrade" since his wife didn't like a CC layout. He bought a 18ft dual console. It's a P.O.S.. Nothing but problems with the rivets leaking (as in almost sinking from Bush River to Pooles Island). This is a pampered boat that's never seen rough water. When fixing the interior rivets it was noted that many structural pieces were missing. Tracker wouldn't help since the boat had just gone out of warranty - even though these rivets were holding stringers in place. He's working with the CG and other authorities to get reimbursed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My dad has Lowe 17' deep V with a 70 hp Johnson on it and it is great. He loves it cause it is light and he can put it in and trailor it by himself. It is also great on gas. We take it out in the bay around the mouth of the potomac all the time and have never had any problems. All aluminum boats are gonna give your a rough ride in bad conditions but u just have to pick your days. All and All it is a real convenient boat.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Considered something along these lines?
Much more boat than any aluminum and I am certain your van would pull it without any problem.

http://www.keywestboatsinc.com/boats/1720dc.html

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a Lowe 16' aluminum bass w/ 30hp Johnson for 10 yrs. Great little boat, never had a problem. The modified V's will give you a beating in any sort of chop so you definitely was a deep-V.

I looked at Lowe's 17-18 deep-V's, nice boat, almost went for it but bought a Trophy 1802 Walkaround instead. Smokercraft is a nicely built aluminum, heavy through. Wouldn't worry about the van pulling it, my parents used to tow a 6000lb Sea Ray 230 Sundancer with an Astro van...it did better then the Tahoe they replaced it with.

·
Registered
132 Posts
check out black lab boats, C-king marine, aluma-marine, you can not bash an aluminum boat untill you check these out. they have better lines than many glass boats at 1/4 of the weight. with gas prices these days, when I buy a bigger boat it will likly be aluminum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts