Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I am always looking, seems like fishing may start taking me on longer distance rides. I love my Center console but I was recently shown a 28Topaz and I am sure it would be better on bad back. Nice boat but 22knot cruise is too slow for me!

I have always liked the Albemarle 27's and due to a few tips here, started looking around and seen quite a few!. I prefer inboard - less issues than I/O's when kept in water over season..?
My 2 I/O's need exhaust risers replaced often ( both were raw water cooled)
looking at freshwater cooled engine, do risers need to be replaced as often?

I remember hearing/reading some inboards need to have both motors running , Something about messing up running gear/trannies.. I love to troll. What about slow trolling? can they run on 1? (say rock fishing)

Anyone Know fuel burn on Carbed 350's? Say at cruise 25-27knot .
Any Idea how much better EFI are on gas?

PM me if you would rather.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to ask. I am sure on older boats, insurance Carrier would want survey /inspection..?? Any idea what cost would be on 27-30' ft?

BTW, figgured i would get better answers here than most salesperson.. ( they will tell you what you want to hear)

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to ask. I am sure on older boats, insurance Carrier would want survey /inspection..?? Any idea what cost would be on 27-30' ft?

BTW, figured i would get better answers here than most salesperson.. ( they will tell you what you want to hear)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Hey Charlie: As I mentioned on Tidal Fish some weeks ago, I have a friend who owns a 32 ft Albemarle, fully equipped.Cat diesels ..He wants to get rid of it. HE will not even run the boat. I go over to his dock and start the engines and check on the security of the lines and the bilge. He and I keep a space heater going during these cold nights. HE has it at a broker for $80,000; but I think if you walked in with ! $ 60k in cash y0u could drive it away. I take the boat out for a spin occasionally into the Bay off Buckroe and would take you for a ride if you or anyone else is interested. He has had no offers in 12 months on the market. . The reason he leans on me is that I owned a 32 Albemarle for 15 years before downsizing. This boat is like new...needs some tweaking ....It is powered by twin cats in great condition; my Albe had twin Cummings diesels and I think my boat was a little faster...but I purchased my boat new and took a lot of stuff off it to lighten the boat. I removed my head, the enclosed hardtop, my generator, my hot water heater, almost anything unnecessary to fishing...came off. I loved the Albemarle 32. I took my 32 to the Canyon many times.. Marlin, Tuna , wrecks, rockfish, you name it, that boat would take you and bring you back. I think he would give me the boat, but I cannot afford one like that now as I am 82 years old 0 with health issues and_ on fixed income. Any takers?

Dr Bob Allen, Salt Ponds marina, hampton VA

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You Dr Allen! Would be afraid to even look at it I am sure I would LOVE it! I did look at 32 blackfin (diesels) Really to much boat for me at this time, IF fuel prices stayed down I would consider it though! ( retired /fixed income also) To be honest, not even sure I care for tower.. Old fart knee may send me over..
A 27/28' and I can still pull it out with trailer for winter.

( BTW it was funny when I read you removed some things.. people looked at me strangely, when mentioned removing non- fishing items)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My Albemarle make my fishing reputation. I also removed the ouriggers when rockfish season came in so I could troll close to the CBBT. Those were the days when we had rockfish. Allo the Albe was very seaworthy and I could depart Salt Ponds and make it against a 15 NE wind over to the Eastern SHOre when no one else could go and have the high rise of CBBT All alone. and catch nice big , plentiful rockfish there. I remember we went every Thanksgiving morning , three anglers, depart at 6 am. go to high rise, wire line. be home by 9-30...no matter the weather. we did it every year for many years. We were on the way home when others were arrriving. The limit was 2 fish p;er angler up to 34 inches. I always took my 2 to my sister for Thanksgiving dinner in Richmond. Then there were none !! I often would wire line alone from the fly brideg. Other angles took photos and snet them to me. Nice boat. nice fishing.l All over now. Cobia may be done too. i CAUGHT A FEW FROM THAT BOAT. cHARLIE sounds like we have much in common...hope to meet you some day. RBA

bOB aLLEN, HAMPTON vA

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Charlie,

I am looking at older twin screw boats to possibly replace what we have now.

As far as I know the manifolds and risers will still have to be replaced, as well as the exhaust flappers at least on most Mercs. Maybe Volvo and others have a completely closed system that protects the manifolds, but I think the risers, elbows and exhaust flappers will have to be replaced.

If you want it insured, especially for a specific value, it will have to be surveyed. The cost to survey will run from about $350 to $600 if the boat is local, how it is equipped and how long it takes the surveyor. Some surveyors rush it, but I prefer to pay to have it done right.

Twin 350 carb engines can burn as much as 28 gph cruising at 30 mph and as much as 56 gph wide open, depending on the weight of the boat, prop set up, conditions, etc.

I am also curious about trolling with 1 engine on a twin screw with shafts?

Wish we could afford 1 large or 2 smaller 4 stroke outboards? :)

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
We troll on a single while the other is running in neutral. Still too fast for rockfish so a lot of the time we drag a large parachute/Drogue to slow us down. Wish there was a trolling valve available for the old capitols in the boat.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Satterly, I was in your area yesterday looking. It was raining so hard a boat would have handled roadways better!
Thanks, that is what I rememeber something about - if 1 motor is off and trolling the water over the prop causes it to turn and (can) slowly turn over
other motor. Turns slow so it is not properly oiled and causes damage.. (does it damage tranny too?)
Kevin, be glad to PM you on 2 that may be interesting to you (albe 27's) .. LMK
I am still undecided , and may just go for OB's . I have loved my 4 stroke OB motors and my current 24.5 boat is fine.
Here's a 4 stroke 27 Blackfin.. I would have bought last yr if I had seen it,
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1988-Blackfin-27-Blackfin-Custom-102649718

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's more about the shaft seal. If it's a wet seal, you don't want the shaft to turn without water being supplied to lube the seal. I hear there is a cross over kit that can supply both seals from either of the two engines running.

·
Registered
151 Posts
On a 350 EFI over carb every day, repowered two boats over last 20 years and went that way. Merc's and Crusader's can be setup so raw water is only going through risers, so they are the only thing to replace every 3 to 4 years. Not a fan of Volvo, (my 2 cents)
As far as running one engine, ran my 29 Phoenix "Love & Luck" for the last 12 years and the only way to get slow enough for Rock is one engine. Never had an issue.
Good luck

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks she's a great boat and letting her go cheap, got tired of the fly bridge. went to a single I/O express. L&L is a little slower then your looking for, typicly ran around 23-24 kts.
I'll send you my phone # if I can help with anything,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Generally speaking a inboard boat will not run as fast as a outboard. You should not run with just one engine. The dead prop will turn the tyranny with no oil pressure. Hope this helps. I would leave the engine running just not in gear. Switch after a while .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts