Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one know of someone who is selling a used .243, 25.06 or 7mm.08? Need one for sika hunting this fall. Bmail me...Ken

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just purchased 1100 acres in Dorchester County and the place is loaded with Sika Deer. I will bow hunting them but I will also be rifle hunting them as well. The reason I am looking for a lower caliber rifle is I have a 11 year old son who hunts with me. So, I am looking for a .243, 25.06 or 7mm.08 for both of us to shoot. I want a rifle with less kick for him.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I hunt Dorchester a bit and I've shot the 25-06 a few times .....SWEEET GUN. Very flat shooting very little recoil and will work just fine for whitetails too. Good choice. The 243 is also a good choice...I'd stay away from the 7m-08 due to possible difficulty if finding ammo. Don't know of anyone selling but will keep eyes open.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I didn't see where your from, but wal-mart had a 270 mdl 700 for $299 right here in Alexandria. Black composit and blued barrel. I'll look later today when I go down there if it's still there.

I personaly think the 243 would suit your kid and the sikas better but hey! for that kind of money a 270 would be just fine. I thought of buying it myself just to have it but talked myself out of it everytime I go down there.

Brad

·
Registered
633 Posts
I Jan I was shooting them @ Chincoteague with a 325 wsm and it tore them a new a$$. A 243 will be just fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just go to walmart and order one.I paid 135 for a Braztech single shot 243 for my 10 yo son.It was the youth model and didn't know it at the time but you can buy different barrels for it.Sweet shooting little gun.Takes about 5 days to get after ordering.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Flyguy,

where is your land located......nice chunk.

We are just south of Vienna and most parcels here are in the 200-500 acre range if they are north of the marshlands surrounding FB and BW.

You arent planning on building a golfcourse community are you?[sad]

Mark

·
Registered
310 Posts
7mm .08, great gun, little recoil & you'll be able to find ammo at most locations like BBS or online @ Midway. I grew up shooting a .243 and unless you hit them in the right place it can lead to some disappointment esp. for a kid. A hunting buddy just got a new Savage combo's for his son w/ the accu trigger in stainless .270 short mag @ +- $ 500 w/ scope.

The low recoil or reduced recoil ammo also is a thought if you consider other calibers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts