Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
I just bought a Canon HV30 for $688. It's HD and has image stabilization! Great camera and awesome image quality.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Spend a 100$ and get a FLIP. They are small almost indestructable, have built in Hard drives and take a nice picture for being so small. If you wanna spend a little more Kodak has an HD version for a little more $. The Flip also plugs right into you computer without cables. That's right the flip has a male USB hub built right into the side of it.

Not exactly sure about the video quality under shaky situations. I've used it on the boat to good results but I'd like to think I have a fairly steady hand.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Mike, go to Best Buy and talk to them. They are very good about guiding you in the right direction for the use of the camera you want...........most of the time......Cameras have really come down in price...Gary

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Mike, there are lots of good options in the $200-$300 range, and some decent ones less than that.

Unless you are totally bought into HD and have a Home Theater PC capable of editing and playing HD video to your TV, I wouldn't bother with the HD. YMMV.

Go to BensBargains.net and search (use the search in the right column rather than the one at the top) for Camcorder. Should be lots of matches. Read the discussions. Lots of trolls on there, but plenty of good info too.

If I was buying now, I'd get one of the tubular SDHC type. SDHC cards are cheap now, and you can fit over 3 hours on an 8GB card. Much smaller, less battery use and less moving parts than a tape or DVD.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I asked for a good camcorder for my birthday, didn't get it, so trying again for christmas. I've just been using the video on my Olympus Stylus, but it's only just operable. I'm also very interested in your recommendations.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Try a local pawn shop :yes: - I've been buying tools from one lately and often see cameras/cam corders

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I can only imagine the insanity that will come from Burgess having a camcorder. :D:D:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got a canon fs100. very compact and portable. Uses sdhc cards. I got a 16 GB card for 50 bucks. I think its great not having to deal with tapes. I think the problem with hard drives is that they don't handle impacts well. Flash drives don't have moving parts like a hard drive.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Don't bother with HD. I bought a Sony HD. It's sweet, but when you burn it to DVD in HD format, you have to play them on an HD player, not BluRay. Sucks, especially since Sony is Sony and Playstation 3 is made by (or somehow part of) Sony, and because the HD format players are probably gonna be discontinued. Hopefully, there's some new software out that can make my Sony HD camcorder burn to BluRay.

You can burn a video from an HD camcorder to DVD in regular format.

I will say this. My HD camcorder takes great videos and you can "zoom in" to any particular frame of the video you like and then save it as a picture. This picture-captured-from-video (or whatever the technical term is) is of nearly the same quality as a regular digital camera, AND you're not gonna miss any action shots; if you're trying to video a fish, a few seconds of footage yields hundreds of still photos to choose from.

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
1. Buy the $60.00 video camera suggested above
2. Sell the assorted videos of the Burgess "adventures" videotaped with said camera on e-bay
3. Retire a wealthy man

1 - 20 of 25 Posts