Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys , I am having motor troubles . I am in need of a mobile boat mechanic that would travel to chincoteauge VA . I can not seem to find on that will work on the boat in the slip. The motors are gas Chevy 350. Any help would be great .

Thank you

·
Registered
158 Posts
What kind of problems are you. I am not a mechanic but very familiar with 350's. Would you try to tackle the project by yourself if you know where to start.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I give you the run down , I do most all the work myself but this one has me stumped . boat has twin 350's (Volvo penta 570) motors are 1993. Starboard motor ran perfect . 2 weeks ago blew head gasket . last week I replaced both head with new ones( matching old casting numbers). Motor fires up run perfect . timing 8+btdc . new plugs ,wires cap and rotor. In the slip motor goes to 4000 rpm no problem . out of slip will not go over 3000. Ran with breather off sprayed fuel in carb will trying to get above 3000 . no help , changed all fuel filters, checked for water in fuel, nothing. Compression is 150 across board.
Played with timing with running at 3000 rpm . no help . the distributor is a marine HEI from AAA MARINE PERFORMANCE . I am stumped . the only thing I can think of is maybe the module in the dist.
The boat ran great with same setup before head gasket .

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
When you say 4,000 RPM in slip - I assume in neutral. 3,000 I assume is in gear ?

If so - might have some growth on running gear or line wrapped on shaft.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah sounds like you gone well through it. All the linkage on the carb working, I had a problem like that once had the boat hauled thinking something fouled the prop turned out the choke wouldn't fully close because the linkage on the carb was caught on itself. A 200 dollar lesson for a 2 minute fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts