Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fish finder I have now is a bit outdated and kind of useless. (Hummingbird, old model) Other than telling me the depth I'm in, it rarely shows actual schools of fish. It shows them as little pics of "fish" and it is very hard to discern between large fish and just a school. It looks nothing like this ...

fishfinder.jpg

More like a bunch of these going across the screen, some small, some a bit larger ... that's it. No structure, just the bottom

fishlogo.jpg

So needless to say, I want to get a new Fishfinder/GPS. Not really necessary for side scan and all that ... just a serious upgrade from what I have.
Should I look at the connections first to see how complicated it will be? I wish it were as easy as "plug & play" type instead of having to rewire everything including a new transducer.

Any thoughts or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm not a tech guy but the garmins are really easy to use. I replaced my 10 year old finder with a striker series and it was easy to figure out. 500 gets you side scan 250-300 gets down view without gps. There are a lot more expensive units with more stuff but it s a basic unit that's way better than what you're used too. Good luck! Question is what do you want to spend.

·
Registered
649 Posts
As Kirk said, what you buy will depend mostly on what features you want and what you can afford. I have a Lowrance HDS8 with structure scan and just installed a Simrad NSS7 with Radar. They all have a learning curve so plan on spending time learning the new features. But your best bet is going to someplace where you can play with multiple brands to get a feel for what you like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know a guy that has a humminbird 688 ci di that he wants to get rid of, I bought a new unit and sold my old to him, once he looked at the manual he decided it was to fancy with too many buttons. Wanted to stick with his gray scale garmin. Much cheaper than a new unit, PM if it's something you would be interested in.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
From your comments, it appears that your unit may not be properly set up for what you want it to do. Fix your settings and your current unit should work just great. If you do not have a users manual, download one for your unit from Hummingbird. I had one of those units with side view for over ten years and it worked perfectly up thru selling the boat.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be back down this weekend and will try the download manual way first ... otherwise you may be hearing from me
Thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts