Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help; I’m looking for a good “Saltwater” reel to replace one that is going bad. I have been using Daiwa for some time and I really like them. I have been looking at the Daiwa SS 1300 but if there are others out there that might be a better for about the same price I would be interested. The reel will be matched up with a 6’6” M/H action rod and I do not want a reel that is over 10oz if possible.

Now if someone has a Daiwa SS II 2000 that would like to get rid of please let me know, I have one already is it’s my favorite reel.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Steve

Wish I could help ya buddy. But if you wanna get rid of that little okuma baitfeefer you got let me know :yes: . BTW thanks for the work on the rods, great stuff can't wait to use them.

Thanks
Alberto

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
If you can not find the one you want- Penn makes some small but strong spinning reels.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Need a little help; I'm looking for a good "Saltwater" reel to replace one that is going bad. I have been using Daiwa for some time and I really like them. I have been looking at the Daiwa SS 1300 but if there are others out there that might be a better for about the same price I would be interested. The reel will be matched up with a 6'6" M/H action rod and I do not want a reel that is over 10oz if possible.

Now if someone has a Daiwa SS II 2000 that would like to get rid of please let me know, I have one already is it's my favorite reel.
Steve,Have You looked at the New Diawas?I'm a Diawa Fan myself.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I looked at the Diawa SS for my Spansih Rod but ended up with a Diawa Capricorn. Not compliants at all. :thumbup:

Having said that, I use an Okuma AV30 that I won as a raffle prize for jigging. It's stood up to everything the Bay has thrown at it and is still going strong after 4 seasons.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
try a penn sargus, hav 2 of them and no trouble!!!
Cabela's -- Penn® Sargus Spinning Reel
Did you know that reel was a Pfleuger in sheeps clothing ? Since Shakespeare bought Penn , they have cleverly disguised alot of their reels by tweaking them with slightly different features . The Penn is basically a Pfleuger Medalist with less bearings but an all metal body .:yes:

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys I really appreciate all the advice and I have looked at all the reels you mention and some of them are just a little out of my price range. I don’t want to sound cheep but with the way things are right now my budget is only around $100.00 I do like the Okuma reel but is it good for Saltwater use.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
A new reel I have tested and holds up well is the Doug Hannon Wavespin Reel.

It is first new design I have seen that works..

I am getting three more in 2009.

Capt Mike
These are supposed to have less line twist and cast farther from what I have read about them.When I looked at them they looked pretty nice but seemed heavy .
Pretty cool idea.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They weigh the same as any Shimano...

Steve you cheap Skate.. Think Capt Starlett found you a reel.. Now tell " Mommy" to open the vault for the check book....;-)[/QUOTE]

Thank You Capt. Mike I think you just found my "New" reel in fact I'm going to order it tonight. :thumbup:

Hey B, Momma does not know about this and now I need to figure out what I'm going to tell her when the credit card statement comes in. :eek2: By the way I keep my hands off the check book

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,747 Posts
Tom Hughes Guide Service
410.744.2351 OfficeFull Time443.690.3164 Boat
Fly & Light Tackle Fishing Guide
Steve F: I have been using Daiwa, Exceler, 2500 Series for over a year and find them to be a reel deal. The last one I purchased was $59.99. They are fine for saltwater as long as you wash them down after each use. The drag system is excellent and they come with an extra spool.

The only downside to this reel is that you have to keep tightening the handle knob down from time to time. If I were using the reel that wouldn't bother me, but with clients fishing I don't have full control.

Model

Number​

Action

FW/SW​

Bearings

Gear

Ratio​

Line Per

Handle Turn​

Wt.

(oz.)​

Line Capacity

(Lb. Test/Yards)​

Drag
Max​

[TR][TD]Spinning

[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]SS1300[/TD][TD]M/L[/TD][TD]3BB[/TD][TD]5:1[/TD][TD]26.4"[/TD][TD]8.50[/TD][TD]6/240, 8/165, 10/115[/TD][TD]15.5[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]EXC2500 [/TD][TD]ML/L [/TD][TD]2CRBB, 4BB, 1RB [/TD][TD]4.7: 1 [/TD][TD]27.6" [/TD][TD]9.90 [/TD][TD]6/210, 8/170, 10/140 [/TD][TD]8.8 [/TD][/TR]​

Good luck with your new selection.

Capt. Tom Hughes
Now Booking Summer, Fall, & CBBT Trips

1 - 17 of 17 Posts