Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend/co-worker that is heavy into his fly fishing, thus sparking an interest for me. I have some freshwater experience and no saltwater experience. I like the fact that there are so many angles with fly fishing.

So I'm looking for advice with anything anyone has to offer. I think I want to fish freshwater before saltwater, but I think ultimately saltwater is where I want to be. I would like to start out small, so any advice will be taken to heart.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
302 Posts
Take some casting lessons before you buy a rod and reel. Your local fly shop can recommend someone, and may already have someone on staff.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
A casting lesson is smart.

And don't listen to folks who say "get the rod that's right for your casting style. What's right for someone else, may not be right for you...."

It's stupid. You don't have a casting style yet. Get a decent, medium fast rod, a modest reel and have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestions on what brand to look for. i'd like to get my money's worth, but because i'm not sure if I'm going to like the sport, I'd like something within a reasonable budget.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where you located?

The best place to buy a fly rod is at a fly shop. They usually will let you cast several rods to see which one best suits you. You can spend $100 to $700 depending on what suits your fancy. Most fly rod makers offer an entry level line of fly rods. Get one with a decent warranty policy so if you break it you can get it easily replaced. A decent fly reel will cost you $100 to $300. Again, most reel companies have entry level reels all the way up to $700 for reels like Tibor and Abel. Here are some suggestions based on rods that I have owned as well as reels.

Rods

Orvis - TLS series
Sage - Launch
Loomis - GL2 and GL3
Scott - AS series
Temple Fork - any of their rods. They make a great $100 rod by the way

Reels

Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor - great value
Reddinton - GD and AS
Cabellas - SLR
Ross
Lampson
Tioga

There are a few other reels as well. You just need something that will stand up to saltwater.

Your fly line and backing will set you back another $50 to $70. $20 to $30 bucks for an assortment of saltwater flies and you are good to go.

If you are in the VB area I suggest Crab Creek Outfitters. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
well I was going to tell you get the rod that's right for your casting style. What's right for someone else, may not be right for you. But I think I'll wait till you get a casting style.;) :D

Hey pax:pp

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
in all seriousness. If you have any ponds near you. Get a 8 to 9 foot rod for a 5 wt. and a reel to match. get a hand foul of poppers and some bright colored wet flies and go to it. But I will also add this. I started my fly fishing in saltwater. Not fresh like most people. Their is nothing worng with starting out that way. get your friend to take you along on one of his trips. that would be the best way to get a really good feel for it. Most people don't mind helping a friend get start. Even if it means going thought thier growing pains. I've do it more time then I can count in my life. I enjoy seeing some one catch their first fish on a fly rod. I also hope I never stop enjoying it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would recommend a starter kit from Cabelas or Bass pro which includes everything you need; rod, reel, line, and even some flies. Have your friend teach you how to cast, and make a b-line to your nearest pond for some panfish action. Oh yeah, you want to start out with either a 5 or 6 weight rod. Good luck!

·
Registered
885 Posts
My advice- - -DON'T do it! :hysterical: Once you buy one you will be hooked! I was in the same place as you about 14 months ago. Now, I have 11 rods and a zillion flies!:thumbup:

In all seriousness, it's a blast but take a lesson or two. All of the advice given so far is very good. St. Croix rods are very good starter rods also.

Have fun and we will see you out on the water!

Ernie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts