Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam planing a little trip from Va. to Tangier Island for a night stay this year so I have several questions I hope someone can help me with.
What would be the closest and safest spot to leave car and trailer (Wicomico area) for a day and what is there to do and see at Tangier, is there a safe marina for a night stay?

Thank you.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Smith Pt. marina would be my choice.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Smith Pt. or the Public Landing in Reedville on Fleeton Rd. or Buzzards Pt. marina the public landing and buzz pt. are both on Cockrells creek off of the Great Wicomico. One of those would be my choice.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tie up at Parks Marina when you get there. You'll see the sign as you enter... if you're coming from the west, you see the sign on your right (south side) before you get to the mailboat harbor. They have nice head/shower facilities and the dock is pretty decent. If you've never been to Tangier, you're in for a real treat... very different than any place you've been. You can walk everywhere there is to go. They have some shops and a few places to eat... the restaurants will have neon signs out with what they have... I recommend anything with soft shell crabs... for about $10 you can get a SS crab dinner with 5-6 crabs!

You will see working watermen everywhere. They roll the sidewalks up real early... by 7 pm the locals are in bed. You'll hear them again at 2:30 am when they fire up the diesels!

You can walk up the main road and ask somone how to get to the beach... its a decent walk from Parks, but its a nice beach.

If you have anything with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation on it (hat, shirt)... don't wear it!

Hope you have a great trip. Its a neat place.

·
Registered
659 Posts
SPEARO,
Public boat landing in Reedville located at Fleeton Beach is a nice place to go out. I have a cottage across the road from there and use it all the time. Never heard of any vandalizing in the area. Pretty sure your vehicle will be alright. Wouldn't leave money on the seat or something like that to encourage someone to mess with your struff. Smith Point Marina is also a good place to put in. I personally think getting out of Smith Point marina is tough. Lots of shallows. Lots of zigging and zagging.
Bubba

·
Registered
356 Posts
The ramp at the end of Fleeton is called Shell Landing. I can't believe you'd have a problem there. Heck, one guy left his sailboat tied up for most of last summer. Plenty of parking, you could park in the open field to keep outta the way for the day folk, which aren't too many, anyway!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts