Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for summer slip or lift to store my boat for the spring through the fall.
Somewhere between Annapolis and Shady Side. Basically looking for easy access
from Northern Va, and easy access to fishing, and restaurants.

The boat is a 26 foot Albemarle Express.
Boat has no bottom paint, so a lift would be nice, but not really required.
Shorepower would be a big plus.
I do have outriggers, but I am not sure if I will be using them. If I use them they
will increase any required bridge clearance.
I am primarily a fisherman, but the lady will also be spending some time with
me, so a marina with a shower, bathroom, picnic area would make life more pleasent
for the lady, and therefor me.

I am not looking for a real high class place, but not looking for a dumpy place either.

Where do all of you keep your boats, and what is the good, the bad, and the ugly about the place.

Thanks in advance
Dave

·
Registered
159 Posts
What is your bridge clearance? If you do not have fixed riggers these couple places might work:

Turkey Point just off the South river - new lift slips, shore power, showers, 1 picnic table :), fish cleaning station and ramp. They just lowered the lift slip prices too for 2013. No rules on who works on your boat.

South River Marina is next door, somewhat better facilities with a pool and more picnic tables, they do some parties for the slip owners, lots of pleasure boaters there. More expensive. Lots of rules - no outside contractors (at least that was the rule a couple years ago).

Both put you about 1 mile from the open bay at Thomas Point.

Further up the South river there are a few right at the route 2 bridge, Oak Grove, Liberty, Pier 7, I think Liberty might have the better facilities of that group.

I'm sure others will offer more choices, but these are the ones I am familiar with. PM if you want more info/opinion.

Brian

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I ran out on Londontowne Marina last season and will do so again this year pending i don't find something cheaper. Easy access, very basic marina without the cost of pool and all the amenities. Never had a problem, guys in the slips next to me watched over things and i did the same for them.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
check out back yard boats in shady side. new ramps, nominal 6 mph to open water. they might have a couple lifts.....check em out.
I use the small county to pickup and drop off parties.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Leo/Chris. That looks like a good possibility.

And thank you Brian. I do have outriggers, but I am not sure if I will be using them or not.
This is a new boat (new to me) and I have never used outriggers before. It seems like they would be easier
to use than my planer boards, so I will likely try them out. I suspect they could be folded down when
going under the bridge.

It looks like Turkey Point has the best slip prices (so far)

·
Registered
159 Posts
You would be fine with lay down mount riggers, the fixed side mount wouldn't work though. There is a 28 or 30 Mako Express next to me with lay down riggers. In case you ever do decide to check that area out - put your attenas down, bridge is not kind to them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm at Holliday Point marina. Just outside Turkey Point, so no worries getting under the bridge (I have riggers as well). Quiet marina, mostly sailboats that sit unused. Good price, they don't gouge you for winter storage, and it's a working marina- allowing you to do anything you want except bottom paint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, thanks for the tip. I will check out londontown Marina this week.

Capt John, I am familiar with Backyard Boats in Shadyside. Nice place. I bought my shamrock from there about 10 years ago (probably longer than that).
Great place, friendly people. They only have one lift, and she said her tennant would never give it up.

Brian, as it turns out my outriggers do not lay down. This is a new boat to me and I am still in discovery mode. Turkey Point was at the top of my list until
I discovered my outriggers dont fold down.

Matt, I will check out Holiday point as well.

Thanks all

Keep the suggestions comming!

·
Registered
437 Posts
There are no bridges between the Rhode River and the bay so outriggers pose no problem at Rhode River Marina. I've never used the outriggers that came with our boat as I understand it limits you as to the number of lines you can troll whereas with planner boards we put out six lines on each one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Add Anchor Yacht Basin to your list, same area off the South River but other side of the bridge. They have a fuel dock but not sure what other amenities. Lots of boats similar to yours there.

Sounds like a real nice rig, might be better off at Fishermans or Sunset in OC:)

·
Registered
518 Posts
We keep our boat at Port Annapolis marina. It's more than a little expensive, but the super clean restrooms, the pool, the playground and the cafe keep my wife happy. I like that it's just under an hour from our house and that it's extremely well protected for huricane season.

That being said, I am exploring other marinas this off season before I sign our annual contract, to see if I can find someplace that comes close but is less money.

I used to keep a boat over at turkey point marina and while I liked the marina, coming in and out under that bridge on a weekend, required alot of patience.

good luck,

DBM

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mike, thanks for the tip. I will check out londontown Marina this week.

Capt John, I am familiar with Backyard Boats in Shadyside. Nice place. I bought my shamrock from there about 10 years ago (probably longer than that).
Great place, friendly people. They only have one lift, and she said her tennant would never give it up.

Brian, as it turns out my outriggers do not lay down. This is a new boat to me and I am still in discovery mode. Turkey Point was at the top of my list until
I discovered my outriggers dont fold down.

Matt, I will check out Holiday point as well.

Thanks all

Keep the suggestions comming!
Just remove your outriggers they should unbolt or snap off and just run 200ft of planer lines like Fish Lion.dancedance...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to keep a boat over at turkey point marina and while I liked the marina, coming in and out under that bridge on a weekend, required alot of patience.

good luck,

DBM
I've been inside there going on 4 seasons now and never had any traffic issues. I think most boats at those marinas never leave!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just wanted to follow up on our search for a marina South of Annapolis.

First of all thanks for all the help.

We took a field trip on Saturday and explored many marinas, including most of
the recomendations made here. As it had been 2 decades since I have kept a
boat at a marina, I was not really sure of what I was looking for, and I was rather
surprised at the variety of amenities, locations, and condition of the marinas that
we visited. There is clearly a large set of marinas to choose from, and visiting them
really helped us to focus in on what might be important to us.
The decision was not an easy one, as each marina had positives and negatives, but
in the end, one really stood out and offered what we were looking for.

We decided to keep our boat at Rhode River Marina. This Marina is awsome, it has
all new docks, and new lifts. The owners Brian and Sue are awsome people. It is well
sheltered from the wind, it is quiet, and it has a nice picnic area to grill that fresh rockfish
at the end of the day. Several generations of owners live on-site, and that helps provide
a good sense of security.

We are looking forward to a great summer on the water, and hopefully we will make some
new friends along the way.

Again, thanks for all the help and guidance.

Dave and Ruth

1 - 18 of 18 Posts