Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents property has a 4-5 foot tall concrete bulkhead around a portion of their cove. Over the years the bulkhead has developed a lot of gaps between the stones where concrete used to be but is no longer. We are worried that this is allowing soil erosion from the land side of the bulkhead and also effecting the strength of the bulkhead. We are looking for someone who can fill the gaps of the bulkhead with concrete. Anyone have a good contractor they can suggest?

·
Registered
329 Posts
As a Concrete veteran of many years I can tell you this... That type of work is surprisingly expensive, especially if a boat is required. But it could also add to the value of the property. Although there is a very big movement in restoring the shore line to its natural state, in which case you would be removing the bulkhead, another expensive venture

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's probably a little less involved than it sounds. Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to get a pic today or tomorrow for a better idea of what I am talking about.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's not really a concrete wall that is stacked rock/block with a concrete cap the water can freely penetrate almost all of that wall... A concrete bulkhead would be a solid concrete wall. You could force some blocks/rocks back into the large gaps, but that whole wall is porous and too replace that with a solid poured in place bulkhead would be quite expensive

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not really a concrete wall that is stacked rock/block with a concrete cap the water can freely penetrate almost all of that wall... A concrete bulkhead would be a solid concrete wall. You could force some blocks/rocks back into the large gaps, but that whole wall is porous and too replace that with a solid poured in place bulkhead would be quite expensive
Understood. We are in no way looking to replace it with a solid poured bulkhead, but rather just "sure it up" or "maintain it". Would river works take care of something like that?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hello,
I spent several years designing and building marine structures. The best way to repair this wall is from behind. Dig down below the area needing repair and mix a bag of concrete to fill the voids. Then place a layer of filter fabric on the backside of the wall. After installing the fabric, backfill the wall with 21A stone. A six in layer behind the wall will suffice. Fill the area behind the 21a stone with the excavated materal and top with top soil. This should do the trick.
I caution you to contact the Army Corp of Engineer to see if they are going to require a permit to make the "Emergency" repair. The permitting proces is long and quite expensive. When I did them for the clients, I chaged a minimum of $650 for the permit. Good luck and I hope you get it repaired soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts