Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
When I was in the Corps in California in the Late 80's I went to a spot that surved a flacky white fish taco with lettuce, tomato, cilantro, and a soft "corn" tortilla. the only condiment was fresh lime. It was awesome!!!!!!!

Mark

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Corn tortilla, light batter on the fish, deep fry, shredded fresh cabbage, white sauce like at Azteca see below. heat the tortillas directly on a burner of your stove put some white sauce in the tortilla, add cabbage and fish shove in mouth simple but very good!! ENJOY!!! Sea Bass works great!!!

INGREDIENTS
2 cups creamy salad dressing, e.g. Miracle Whip ™
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

DIRECTIONS
Measure salad dressing into a medium bowl. Gradually stir in the milk. Season with red pepper flakes, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and oregano, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to blend. If you taste it right away, all you will taste is salad dressing.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
my bud shaun turned me on to this and i altered the recipe a lil

supertacos -

i typically use triggerfish, but any flaky white meat fish shoud do.
cut up fish into small bite-sized pieces
coat thoroughly in 50/50 mixture house autry breader and cornmeal
shake off excess and sear/fry in peanut oil (must have hot oil otherwise u get soggy fish!)
while frying fish slice cabbage into very thin slices
grate some pepper jack cheese
mix in a dry taco seasoning with sour cream a little at a time until she tastes schweet
cut ripe avacado in half, remove seed
score each half to skin(not through skin) in crosshatch (tic tac toe) pattern then remove avacado chunks with spoon and place in bowl
add freshly cut cilantro (alot) and a little diced tomato and onion to avacado, add a little fresh crushed garlic
sprinkle a dash of sea salt and half of a lime fresh squeezed juice
mix gently with spoon, do not mash or overmix - it should be chunky

now u r ready to slay some supertacos

dab desired amount of sour cream mix onto corn or flour tortilla
drop in cheese and shredded cabbage and fresh guac
finally add freshly seared fish

if ur wife doesnt ask u to go catch more fish the next day - u did something wrong!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like grilling the fish, any white fish will do. Shrimp are good this way too. I first season the filets with some cumin powder and salt. Grill fish and hit them with some fresh lime juice when done, grill soft tortillas, fresh guacamole, cilantro, cheese, whatever else you like.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This was recently published in the Tico Times - Costa Rican English newspaper. Anyone who's been to Jaco will tell you that Bubba's is the best fish taco you'll find outside of San Diego : (original online link - Costa Rica Fishing, Sportfishing, Deep Sea Fishing, Charters, Information, Fishing Reports, Sport Fishing Packages Costa Rica)

Fish Tacos by Bubba

To make a great fish taco, you need to start with great fish. If you're lucky enough to catch the fish you're going to eat, make sure you get it cleaned and on ice as soon as possible. If you're buying fish at the market, make sure the meat is firm and not "fishy" smelling. Frozen fish is OK if it's been frozen correctly and vacuum-sealed.

We use mostly wahoo and mahimahi (dorado) at my taco stand, "bubba's," in Jacó, but almost any fresh fish will work.

Take your fillets and make sure they are all white meat. Cut away any blood lines or off-colored meat - these contain fish oils and can make the fish taste "fishy." Cut your fillet into large, finger-sized pieces and soak in milk; this cuts the fishiness and helps keep the fish moist throughout the cooking process.

Get bowls of your favorite toppings ready. We usually put out cheddar cheese, lettuce, coleslaw, tomatoes, red onions, jalapeños, lime wedges, hot sauces and a secret-recipe garlic and cilantro sauce.

You can use flour or corn tortillas, or both. To bring out the real flavor of a tortilla, it must be lightly toasted. Pack your tortillas in paper towels and foil to keep them warm - nobody wants a cold tortilla.

You can fry, bake or grill your fish. If you grill or bake it, use a light olive oil and spice marinade. Don't add salt, as it will dry out your fish. Be careful not to overcook; if you have a hot grill or oven, the fish will need just a few minutes on each side to cook through.

I f you choose to fry your fish, get your breading ready. Add spices to whatever breading you prefer: ground cornflakes, panko crumbs, or try something different such as ground Captain Crunch cereal. Dip your fish in egg batter before coating generously with your choice of breading. Fry in clean, really hot oil. The fish is ready when the breading is toasted to a light brown.

Set out your tortillas, toppings and fish on the table, give thanks for family and friends and start eating. A good bottle of tequila and cold Mexican beer complements any fish taco dinner.

-Jerry "Bubba" Hallstrom

·
Registered
526 Posts
i worked at wahooos fishtacos in san diego while in the marine corps(free fish tacos:clap:)

1" by 4" strips of any fish
marinade for no more then 30 min. in 3 lime 2 orange 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin a shot of chipotle tabasco salt and pepper to taste

remove grill till done set aside

1 head of shredded cabbage

pico di gayo

diced avacado

dill cream sauce

hot sauce (tapatio)

sliced limes

pico di gayo- 2 diced tomatoes seeded/1red onion diced/1/4 diced bell peppers(colors of your choice)/1 to 2 juice froma lime/ chopped cilantro/cumin salt and peper to taste_____mix in bowl store for later

dill cream sauce-1/4 sour cream/1 1/2 TBLSP dill/spritz of lime juice and hot sauce_____mix and let sit for 30 min.

warm a corn tortilla then ad fish, cabbage, pico, avacado, dill sauce and hot sauce, put the lime on the side. have a corona and your in heaven

·
Registered
526 Posts
ya bro witch one, rubios was fantastic, also calimas, and i think the taco shop that was off of the 101 had some bomb ass tacos. mmmmmmmm carne asada boriito with sour cream and cheese no pico no guacomole, and some green or red chile sauce. man im hungry.:clapping2:

·
Registered
526 Posts
calimas, diegos, and los ponchos then there was one place just down the road by oside blvd. i remember it was blue and was next to a tire place but ya they had some awesome feesh tacos

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
my bud shaun turned me on to this and i altered the recipe a lil

supertacos -

i typically use triggerfish, but any flaky white meat fish shoud do.
cut up fish into small bite-sized pieces
coat thoroughly in 50/50 mixture house autry breader and cornmeal
shake off excess and sear/fry in peanut oil (must have hot oil otherwise u get soggy fish!)
while frying fish slice cabbage into very thin slices
grate some pepper jack cheese
mix in a dry taco seasoning with sour cream a little at a time until she tastes schweet
cut ripe avacado in half, remove seed
score each half to skin(not through skin) in crosshatch (tic tac toe) pattern then remove avacado chunks with spoon and place in bowl
add freshly cut cilantro (alot) and a little diced tomato and onion to avacado, add a little fresh crushed garlic
sprinkle a dash of sea salt and half of a lime fresh squeezed juice
mix gently with spoon, do not mash or overmix - it should be chunky

now u r ready to slay some supertacos

dab desired amount of sour cream mix onto corn or flour tortilla
drop in cheese and shredded cabbage and fresh guac
finally add freshly seared fish

if ur wife doesnt ask u to go catch more fish the next day - u did something wrong!
I grilled some rockfish with mexican spices tonight and followed the rest of this recipe. These are really "SUPERTACOS"! Thanks Gus for posting the dirrections. We had a tropical apple salad to go along with it.:thumbup::clapping2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts