Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that everyone is in the midst of their seasons, but I want to start my search early. I am currently looking for hunting property to lease in somerset county, MD. I have three potential hunters looking for a new opportunity.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
somerset county--hillbilly heights

i'm sure there will be others who will disagree but i think that county has some of the most clan like locals i have ever seen. they don't want you down there if you ain't from "down there" and you had better watch your back. but then again i think ole guv schaeffer was right when he back handed the eastern shore.

yea we all love the hunting, fishing, ocean and the more laid back atmosphere but when push comes to shove the good locals down on the shore really don't want you there at all. think about it:scratchchin3:--whenever you see any advertisement involving the shore does it mention anything about the warm and friendly folks down there? :nono: no it always emphasizes the resource--the bay, the ocean and the seafood:fishing2::clap:.:fishing2:

sorry for getting off the subject:eek:fftopic:--i have met a very few folks down there who are decent but my impression overall is that they would just as soon have rt 50 be an express road between the bay bridge and OC.

anyway we have hunted down in somerset and worchester counties for 25 years--renting from pulpwood companies who run the operation from Pa mainly. I would now only consider renting land down there directly from the landowner himself--not from any middleman. when you hand the cash directly to the landowner you at least know you have one "local" on your side.

like i said i'm sure there will be others who sing the praises of the deep eastern shore and sit up on a high horse and say they have never had any problems with those good old boys down there--more power to 'em:thumbup:. rent from a local directly and still watch your back.:cool:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i'm sure there will be others who will disagree but i think that county has some of the most clan like locals i have ever seen. they don't want you down there if you ain't from "down there" and you had better watch your back. but then again i think ole guv schaeffer was right when he back handed the eastern shore.

yea we all love the hunting, fishing, ocean and the more laid back atmosphere but when push comes to shove the good locals down on the shore really don't want you there at all. think about it:scratchchin3:--whenever you see any advertisement involving the shore does it mention anything about the warm and friendly folks down there? :nono: no it always emphasizes the resource--the bay, the ocean and the seafood:fishing2::clap:.:fishing2:

sorry for getting off the subject:eek:fftopic:--i have met a very few folks down there who are decent but my impression overall is that they would just as soon have rt 50 be an express road between the bay bridge and OC.

anyway we have hunted down in somerset and worchester counties for 25 years--renting from pulpwood companies who run the operation from Pa mainly. I would now only consider renting land down there directly from the landowner himself--not from any middleman. when you hand the cash directly to the landowner you at least know you have one "local" on your side.

like i said i'm sure there will be others who sing the praises of the deep eastern shore and sit up on a high horse and say they have never had any problems with those good old boys down there--more power to 'em:thumbup:. rent from a local directly and still watch your back.:cool:
Wow. I never saw someone work so hard to sound ignorant. Maybe you'd be better off giving your timber lease to Dinger, and moving your hunting operation to Virginia. I'm sure some of those guys would appreciate you enlightening them about their dog hunting traditions............

·
Registered
173 Posts
Southern Worcester

I got to laugh at E13586 you are totaly wrong ma friend. Ive been on Marylands eastern shore since 1982 and orig. from Eastport in Annapolis,born and raised and couldnt wait to get away from people like you. Eastern shore is my home and have met MANY friendly people here and have some damn good friends. Its an attitude like yours is why they dont want ya here so to keep the peace so to speak stay on ya owne side of the bridge pal

·
Registered
365 Posts
Gotta agree with e. Those eastern shore folks are as tight as Tangier Islanders. Would much rather deal with the much chattier/friendlier central Virginians or coastal Carolina types. But parts of Virginia, such as Mathews, Middelsex, Urbanna counties and the Northern neck can be tricky.

·
Registered
50 Posts
you may have had a bad run in with a person or few people, but don't write off a whole group of people. that could happen anywhere.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't mean to start a public controversy, I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I have been hunting Somerset County for 17 years now, and both the of the farmer's whose land that I hunt on are getting up in age.

Can someone help direct me in the right direction for finding land? Any recommendations for Timber Companies to contact, etc.?

·
Registered
129 Posts
e35186

Tell us what you really think, it just shows your intelligence:thumbup:

Born and raised in "Hillbilly Heights" and proud of it. :yes:

Pretty much the same as anywhere else if you act like an ASS we will treat you like one:thumbup:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
we are losing our lease outside of princess anne next year. if anyone can point me in a direction of a club or land to lease let me know.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
For you folks looking for a place to hunt on the Eastern Shore - - - hang on to your wallets !

You will pay a premium price for marginal property - - -

The "big operators" with their large impoundments full of standing crops, and the RSAs tend to concentrate what birds there are.

Nothing like trying to call or decoy birds next door to a couple thousand live decoys - - -

probably would be better off spending your money and vacation on a trip to North Dakota, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba.

But if you do find a place make sure you know what other groups operate in that area, hard to compete with flooded corn, or an RSA.

Good Luck

BB

Oh, You may want to do a search on this board for "club" :eek2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts