Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine with a mid 2000s (2005 I think) Optimax 135 has blown a 20 amp fuse two of the last three trips. Both times he was running at a good clip (but not WOT) and the fuse blew. Both times the motor was running great and showed no symptoms of problems until it just stopped. He lives in Belair and looking for a good Mecury mechanic. He has taken it to some place in Middle River in the past but got a bad vibe from the owner of the shop and wants to find another place. Thanks

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
The merc guru on the bay is Richard Jerns at Whalertowne in Grasonville. However I believe his son works a Jaws marine in Curtis Bay. They may bay worth a look too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a problem with my 2002 40hp mercury that is somewhat similar, so I'll mention it on the chance it might be helpful.

A few years ago I started having the problem that sometimes after going at cruising speed, my 20A fuse to the ignition would blow. The motor would still run when this happened until I turned it off, but then I wouldn't be able to start it back up (turned key and got nothing). The first time it happened, I checked the fuses on the main fuse block under the console and they were OK, so I had a mechanic look at it. He found and replaced the blown 20A fuse which was in the wire harness on top of the motors powerhead. He didn't know what caused the problem and told me to keep an eye on it to see what might be causing the problem. So I started carrying extra 20A fuses on board.

After having the problem happen again a few times and replacing the fuse to fix it, I noticed that it only happened when I used the power trim to raise the motor upward some while at cruising speed (I don't have trim tabs). It didn't happen when lowering the motor, probably because there was less strain on the power trim when lowering the motor at cruising speed versus raising it. I looked at a wiring diagram and it confirmed that the ignition and power trim were on the same circuit. I thought about separating the 2 circuits to use different 20A fuses but haven't done that since I also feel that something else must be wrong to cause the fuse to blow (faulty trim motor, wiring issue, etc.). So far, I've been able to avoid the problem by adjusting my trim upward at lower speeds only.

Maybe this will be of some help to you.

Jack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try Andy at Chesapeake marine service 443-406-5144 he does mobile repairs but main shop located at Lee's Marina in Charlestown up in Cecil Co.not that far from Bel Air

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use Ed Miller for my Yamahas and was under the impression that he works srtrictly on Yamahas. I asked him once if he works on other motors and he said that he will occasionally work on other motors for special customers, but that he has so much business with Yamahas and that he knows them so well that he doesn't need to work on other manufacturers. He is very good and I recommend him for Yamahas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts