Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making my first offshore trip out of Hatteras next weekend and looking for any tips I can get. Other than the obvious weather concerns, which is huge when making this run in a 24' foot boat, dose anyone have any helpful tips on locating and catching Tuna. I have done a lot of research on bait, tackle, depths, temp breaks, etc. but it always helps to hear any piece of advice I can get. Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
First time out follow the big boys. They will show you the way out of the inlet and will lead you to the fish. You can look back after and learn what they were looking for on water temps etc. Check all your safety equiptment before you go. Good luck. Martin

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Do what b8boy says. Thats a great start. Also, get down to the docks, there are lots of great guys down there that are willing to chat with ya. Your first trip is all about watching and learning. Keep a note book and jot down notes throughout the day this will be valuable information lateron. At the end of your trip, write down as many lessons learned as you can. Keeping a note book will really help you in the future.
Ken

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, thank you. I'm about to leave work for the day to make last minute preparations to the boat and to enjoy the weather, I'll check back again Monday morning for any addional replies. Thanks again, have a great weekend!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Try and find someone with offshore experience out of Hatteras to go with you. Following the charters will put you in an area where they have been catch fish. Lots of places to run aground on the way to the inlet. Good luck. Craige (Mary E)

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Be humble and treasure every bit of advice those HI salts toss you. Follow them out(especially through the inlet), but stay reasonably clear when they start to fish - you want to start off on the right foot!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
When trolling, plan ahead and keep a watchful eye out for the path of the charter boats.... give them plenty of space. These guys have had a long hard winter and deserve respect for their occupation. Just remember; we're out there for fun... they're out there to feed their families. You'll find a lot of folks in Hatteras that are eager to help you get started. And you'll also find a lot of folks right here with the same attitude. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.