Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My in-laws live in Heathsville, Virginia on the Great Wicomico. My kids are now approaching the age when it would be great to take them fishing, skiing, boat riding, whatever.

Right now, my father in-law has a 12 year old 25 foot cabin cruiser, a Regal. Personally, I'm not sure a more impractical, useless, boat exists. It's so big, with such terrible sight lines and draws so much water to be almost completely worthless. It's only serviceable for taking the occasional boat ride, but even then, 3/4 of the boat is a useless cabin, so anything more than two people, and it's so crowded that you may as well be on a johnboat.

My father currently has a 1991 23 foot Pro Line...I absolutley love this boat. 1991 is before Danzi started designing the Pro-Line hulls, so the actual center console sits about 18 inches or 2 feet more forward in the hull than most 23 foot boats. It makes a TON of difference. The back of that 23 Pro Line, with motor on a bracket, has more room than the 30 foot Regulator. 4 adults can fish back there, handling baits, lines and gaffs without too much trouble, if they know what they're doing.

I also own a 19 cc Key West with my 3 brothers. Great little boat for inshore stuff and calm days on the bay. Take it out of Kiptopeke or Gwynn's Island right often to hit the tunnel or the Cell and never have any problems...just pay alot of attention to the forecast.

Well, I want to get something for my in-laws place that can function as a fishing boat AND a skiing, tubing, boat-riding boat for kids. I don't need a big sturdy fishing machine to go 60 miles in, or go out in rough weather, b/c although I love to fish, when it is rough, I either stay home or get on a charter.

I have looked briefly at the 23' Sport Pro Line. It looks like what I want/need. My only issues are that the new ones don't offer the option of putting the motor on a bracket, whcih I really like b/c of the room it provides, and b/c of Danzi's design, the CC has been moved back a little, more in line with a Regulator to make it more of a hardcore fisherman's boat. Pro Line's are also no longer a "budget" boat, like they were 15 years ago, and are just as pricey as any other boat.

So, after all that background and useless information, anyone got any ideas? Oh yeah, it also has to have a porti-potty as my 75 year old mother-in-law (and therefore my wife) won't sign off unless it does. Surprisingly, all the cc Pro Line models, even the 21 cc, have the john underneath the cc.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Geesh!!! With all of the conditions and parameters you have set, the only ones who can help you are you and your family.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Try looking at a 23' Palmetto or 23' Sailfish if a 23 is the size your looking considering. I haven't riden in Sailfish but I like the hull shape. I have fished from a 2005 23' Palmetto with 2-200 Yam's and it's a sweet ride...and very fast. The Palmetto is rock soild in the rough stuff. Both have engine brackets. The Palmetto has a nice size fish box. The Sailfish I looked at today at a show only had a cooler underneath the leaning post. The 23 Sailfish WA was nice but it also lacked a fish box. I don't know if they have other models.

·
Registered
111 Posts
All boats are a compromise! But if you want a 23 ft. to ski, fish, tube, and cruise, and it has to satisfy you, kids, wife, and in-laws, everybody's probably gonna be disappointed. Have you considered golfing?

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I tend to stay away from CC's as the spring and late fall are cold. I love ducking out of the cold and wet spray even for a few minutes. As far as the Pro-line hulls go, The current Pro-line 25 Walk is the same hull as the 23 Proline walkaround from 1994-1998 (was called the 241 from 1998-2000 and 25 walk from 2001-present). However, I would also recommend looking at a pilothouse. The pilot house offers protection from the weather and head as well as dry storage. The forward placement of the helm allows the boats to maintain very large cockpits. The disadvantage is that because you are so forward on the hulls you have to slow down a bit in heavy seas. The following are a list of pilothouses to check out:

http://www.parkerboats.net
http://www.judgeyachts.com
http://www.maycraftboats.com
http://www.chawkboats.com
http://www.steigercraft.com
http://www.andersonboats.net

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from the Richmond boat show.

Anybody know anything about the Sea Chasers?

The 24 CC and the 21 CC look pretty versatile and even though they're are certianly some compromises, the price sure is right.

Under 30k for the 24 foot CC with a 300 HP.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I dont know much about the boats other than they are made by Carolina Skiff. However, do a search on thehulltruth.com of the Yammie 300hpdi. They have a horrible reliability reputation.. Maybe it is straightened out by now but resale is bad on any boat with that engine now. I think a lot of dealers are offering blow out pricing on boats with those engines just to dump them. I would see what the upcharge on the boat would be to get a Yammie fourstroke 250. Just my opinion...

I also see that Eds has a 23CC Maycraft for just over 30k. Worth a look. Maycrafts are no frills down and dirty , commercial, tough hulls. They just dont have any cushy seats or anything that some like.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great. Thanks for the info.

Know anything about Sea Boss? How about the Mercury 225 4 stroke's?

Ed's seems to be "blowing out" of a lot of Sea Boss's too.

From my little bit of looking on the internet, I like the looks of the back of the Sea Boss. Has the squared off back with the motor on a bracket, as opposed to the kind of flared off back with the motor taking up about the last 1 foot of space that alot of boats have now.

I'll probably go to Ed's on Monday to look at their inventory. I'm not in any hurry to buy a boat and am willing to pay more to get a boat from anywhere but Ed's, especially considering things like what you explained about the 300 hpi. I'd like to find a boat as close to what I want as possible, and if that means 10-15 percent more, I think it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When you gp to Eds, see what they have in the way of 19 fters with 4 S motors. I'm looking for one but have been warned about Ed's. ThNX
Angleerdave

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Pro-Lines are all-composite construction now, so you're paying to not have wood in your hull and deck. Also, I think they have the euro-transom, which is good.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
did you see the ad for the Dusky on this site? Duskys are very tough 3 piece, well made boats:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/1/82515811.htm

Heck, the new engine is probably worth half that price..

·
Registered
11 Posts
bayliner 246 discovery

take a look at the 246 discovery by bayliner. It is a great all purpose boat that includes a roomy cabin, full bathroom, high sides, plenty of cockpit for fishing, enclosed hard top helm station. It has shore power, ac/heat and is travel worthy. I've had one for about a year now and have no complaints. I'm an avid fisherman, pleasure boater with a 3 and 5 yr old. It really is a great all around boat that works for everyone in our family. I've also had it out in some sporty conditions with no complaints.
good luck in your search

·
Registered
1 Posts
The boat that solves it all is the Robalo R227. It is a dual console with spacious head, gobbs of fishing features and outstanding reliability. Not a cheap production boat like the others you mention but one that will last a lifetime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take a look at the sea king by kencraft, made in wilson nc. they made a great boat, no wood and it is not a chop boat(built in sections) 23ft- or 21

·
Registered
68 Posts
Considering this thread goes from 2006 to 2010, I hope the guy who started this thread got his boat by now!

My "Go To" all-around boat has been and still is a '96 Wellcraft 23 Excel Walkaround. Sold a 22 foot CC to buy her when my daughter came along. 24 feet in length with a single 200 hp Offshore Merc; it's been shipped to Hawaii and back, fished the Gulf out of TX and LA and now resides here on The Bay. An express, I added a hard top and full enclosures when I got here two years ago. Made Striper fishing palatable on snotty days and got the women out of the wind to watch the Christmas Holiday boat parade. Has towed kids on tubes, and has been the mother ship for kayak fishing expeditions. BoatUS surveys will support Wellcraft's are the #1 boat sold across the country and it will be interesting to see how future Wellcraft's will shape up now that Genmar had to sell them off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i have the 23 P/L walk around cutty and it is a great boat. lost my job 12 /4/09 and if i don't get back to work by mid feb i'am going have to let her go. boat stays in water but do have a trailer for it. if you havent found what your looking for by then give me a hollar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts