Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for lead. So I can start casting my own weights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm sure others may have some better ideas but you can try local auto repair shops and ask for the lead wheel weights that have been removed. Another option is going to the local tackle shops and buying large sinkers and melt them down.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Calling local tire shops is a good option. I did this once, and for $50 I got enough wheel weights to last me several years. The lead is hard, but pours well. Mixing it 50/50 with some soft lead or real tin makes it even better, if you are pouring small, intricate lures.

In my experience, the larger chain stores usually have contracts with recyclers, so I recommend local shops first.

Best wishes!

-TH

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Its been a few years but i bought a full 5 gallon bucket of old weights for $25. Threw it on the hanging deer scale and if I remember right was about 120#. You do the math. Only about 1/4-1/3 of the way through it.

Every once in awhile there is a hunk of steel in it, but for the most part it was lead or some version of it. Pours generally fine, at least down to 3/8" heads, havent tried anything smaller.

Probably better off checking with smaller garages and your aftermarket type mounting discount tire places, you know the $25 per tire places.

Chris

·
Registered
643 Posts
A buddy of mine got a chance to chop up a small sailboat.
The keel was packed full of lead, got over 100# of lead.
Melted down nice and smooth. Made 5 lb blocks in small bread pan.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Give Ebay a look. They have quite a few options and shipping was less than I expected.

Had a friend try the wheel weights and he said they did not melt or pour well at all. He won't use them any more.

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
I am looking for lead. So I can start casting my own weights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I do not pour lead or make my own jig heads or weights. I have been to several seminars on pouring lead and all dicouraged used tire weights. Use pure lead and avoid the problems associated with bi metals...... Gary

·
Registered
134 Posts
I do not like to use old tire weights. They have too many impurities and produce too many fumes.
I pour my jigs using linotype metal that I buy on eBay.
Type metal is a lead/tin/antimony alloy.
It pour easily and holds detail well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Not all wheel weights are made of steel yet, but they're heading in that direction. I've got some that are made of zinc, and it melts at a much higher temp than lead. Zinc in a batch of lead can cause pouring problems. I've used lead wheel weights for many years & if pouring larger jigs or sinkers they're fine. But, for smaller stuff, a softer lead is better. With wheel weights you have to keep the temps up, both in your melting pot & molds to get good clean pours.

If you can find plumbers lead at a decent price, that's usually pretty soft.

I buy most of my lead now from Ebay sellers, and it can be had at reasonable cost, but you have to watch shipping cost, which can double the price.

Gary, there are hazards associated with any type of lead as well as many other heavy metals. As long as it's treated as such and precautions are taken to limit health problems, it's generally safe to pour sinkers & such with any lead type. I wear a respirator, gloves & proper clothing when pouring, and have my blood checked for lead every time I have a complete physical, which is usually every year or two. So far, all tests have been negative, and I've been pouring for over 25 years. Actually, unless a person does something really stupid when pouring with lead, the biggest danger is getting burned. :yes:

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
Not all wheel weights are made of steel yet, but they're heading in that direction. I've got some that are made of zinc, and it melts at a much higher temp than lead. Zinc in a batch of lead can cause pouring problems. I've used lead wheel weights for many years & if pouring larger jigs or sinkers they're fine. But, for smaller stuff, a softer lead is better. With wheel weights you have to keep the temps up, both in your melting pot & molds to get good clean pours.

If you can find plumbers lead at a decent price, that's usually pretty soft.

I buy most of my lead now from Ebay sellers, and it can be had at reasonable cost, but you have to watch shipping cost, which can double the price.

Gary, there are hazards associated with any type of lead as well as many other heavy metals. As long as it's treated as such and precautions are taken to limit health problems, it's generally safe to pour sinkers & such with any lead type. I wear a respirator, gloves & proper clothing when pouring, and have my blood checked for lead every time I have a complete physical, which is usually every year or two. So far, all tests have been negative, and I've been pouring for over 25 years. Actually, unless a person does something really stupid when pouring with lead, the biggest danger is getting burned. :yes:
On my last physical I took a blood test and the doctor told me that the iron in my blood turned into the lead in my ass! I buy all my lead products!! lol...... Gary

·
Registered
705 Posts
On my last physical I took a blood test and the doctor told me that the iron in my blood turned into the lead in my ass! I buy all my lead products!! lol...... Gary
:hysterical: That's an entirely different problem I believe! I've accumulated about 300 molds of various types, so I pour the lead I use. Can't say I'm saving money doing it, but I don't have to go to the tackle shop every time I run out of something, which keeps me from buying a whole lot of other stuff I don't really need! :yes:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Jack, car batteries can be a source for lead, but the big issue there is the health issues involved & properly disposing of the acid in the battery. It's illegal to just dump it any where you want. The fumes in a battery are also explosive. There are companies that recycle the lead from batteries, so it's possible as a source for pouring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts