Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for Transient Marina & Fishing Info. I normally stay at Windmill Point (Not Open Yet) and don't mind going a little further north. I have a friend driving down from Northern Virginia this weekend and would prefer to stay on the North Side of the Rappahannock or even north of the Rapp. I'll be coming via boat 33' Egg Harbor (Salty Pub) and need Marina and fishing locations; preferrably stripers or flounder. I've been reading the posts for two weeks and was hoping Windmill Point would open in time for my visit but now need to develop "Plan B".

·
Registered
210 Posts
Check out Indian Creek yacht basin in Kilmarnock. Not sure that's the exact name, but they should be able to handle a boat your size. haven't been up there in a while, so I don't know what kind of shape it's in. Good luck and have a good trip!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You; that wasn't one of the "Hits" when I did an internet search. I'm getting out my Chesapeake Guide tonight to get a better feel as to what may be available.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you want flounder, going north of the RappR will put you further away from the main bite this summer at Buoy 42 / Cell area (see map). Reedville is a nice area further up, as many folks from "North Virginia" do the bay thing there which is not as far - good chumming / rockfishing @ NN reef, as well. Captain Dave Compton (Aces Up) can inform you more on that subject, as we stay south of that area, usually and rockfish only during fall/winter. Hope this helps.

WA

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Woody Fish. I run Aces Up out of Ingram Bay Marina which is just south of Reedville. There is plenty of water for your size boat and they usually have a slip that you can use. It is only 7 miles due east to the Northern Neck Reef from the marina. The reef is a prime spot for rockfish. The marina's number is 804-580-7292. Talk to Capt. Billy Pipkin or his wife Mary about a slip. If you come in, I'll be around for most of the week so say hello.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for responding. I've just about settled on Locklies Marina in Topping. Haven't made the reservation yet and know they don't have power restored from Hurricane Isabel. I like it for the "Waterman's Atmosphere" and several charter captains fishing out of there. Any good or bad comments would be welcomed as I'll be making the reservation tomorrow.

For a change it looks like a good weekend weather forecast; S, SW ~10 and sunny for Friday, Saturday & Sunday. Let's see what it looks like on Friday :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Locklies is probably the closest place to the fish (croaker) right now.. just follow the charter fleet around, or fish the 'silos' area, or the bridge for rockfish.
Good luck
JP
"KwikRelease"

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the advise. I made my reservations at Locklies and will be fishing Friday PM, Saturday and possibly Sunday AM then heading back to the Back River for the air show at Langley AFB. If you see or hear me (Salty Pub) I'll be on VHF 68. If there is another channel that you Northern Neck Anglers use just let me know. If you need advise on the Poquoson River, Back River, Back River Reef and Plum Tree/Poquoson Flats just give me a shout as I've fished there all my long life and grew up in a commercial fisherman's environment. Once again; Thank You and good fishing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again; the stay at Locklies was great and I specifically asked to dock as close as possible to the charter captains. They, as always, provided good fishing tips and I stayed out of their way on the fishing grounds. Which seeemed to produce sufficient croakers to make my visitors happy. It was an extremely short run to the fishing grounds for bottom fish though lacking a bit in facilities at the marina; No Electricity and Showers. They did connected me via an extension cord that kept my battery charger operating. In general it appears Locklies hasn't fully recovered from Hurricane Isabel. Good Friendly Folks and I'd Highly Recommend them recognizing that you aren't paying the normal high cost of slip and facilities rental.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts