Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're catching a lot of fish down at Buzz's. I know. I watched 'em. Drove the hundred miles from Virginia down to my boat and went out Monday when the winds were nice. Went up to the lighthouse, and a couple of guys caught a nice fish right near my boat. Went over towards #72 and guys were catching there, right in front of my boat. Trolled down with the ebb awhile towards the Target Ship and a charter guy was catching, right next to my boat. Went over to the western edge and marked a whole lot of bait and big fish, and guys were catching there too, naturally near my boat. Heard a guy come on 68 and say, "if you want to catch a big one, go over there next to that boat there, he'll bring you luck."

All this catching was too exciting, so I went in before anything dramatic could happen on my boat. Mike Henderson met me at the dock, and when I told him how the day went he said maybe we should go out together sometime. He was trying to be gracious and charitable, said something about saving on gas, but I could feel the pity. And I already know what to do next time. I am going to take my fancy camera so I can get you guys some good pictures of the fish caught near my boat.

PM me if you want to know what they weren't biting and at what depths.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
OUCH - that hurts just reading.Fall trolling can be like that somedays - it seems everyone catches but you.Seems like you were in the right area - perhaps your speed was too fast/slow ????

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm sorry about your day. still better than being at work though. I'm pretty sure we have all had our bad day's to get back and here how well others did. Just makes you want to go more to get revenge! You will probably catch buba next time :yes:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Fun Read.

I could identify .

Thanks.

would of bin better w/pics. :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
GD'
If you want to give your boat a day off, you can ride with me. I'll drive and you run the camera. I seem to have the same luck. We'll save on gas and hell you can even ride down with me. Seems like a long way to buzz's from NOVA, but I can't get it out of my system. Plan on Sat or Sun one way or the other. If you want to go, call me.

Brad
703 850 4430

·
Banned
859 Posts
in that area fish are biting deep ~30ft or so. i get there by letting out 400ft, no weight, on an umbrella rig w/ 80lb test. buy a line counter or 2 or 3. set 450, 400, 350 and 300. troll 50-80ft, western edge. find bait pods, mark them and circle the wagons in that area. also fish and hour before tide chanhe. that is the bite. if a fish hits 450, let someone else reel it in.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Great report!:clapping2: I've been there. Several springs ago I took my dad for some spring trolling. We didn't get a hit and I told him that it was probably slow for everyone (tide all wrong, the usual other excuses, etc.). I got back, logged onto TF and the site was full of posts from folks who had just had the best trolling day ever. One pic of someone holding up a nice hog had my boat in the background.:censored:

I also trolled over the exact spot about 5-minutes before a dad and his son trolled over it and caught the MD record Striper. We were both using chart. chutes. I contend that it was me who made the fish hungry enough to strike his lure.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. We have all been there. Tomorrow (Thursday) I'm going to try to get out from Buzz's in the afternoon. I just changed everything over from livelinning and small trolling gear to my big spring spread for these fall/winter fish. It will sort of be a "shakedown" cruise because I'm sure I forgot to load something on the boat that I will surely need. I'm nervous to ask someone to go with me because the day may be a complete bust with all the new lures and setup. On the other hand, It could turn into the best "catching" day ever. 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Dog,

That sounds like me livelining until I HO’ed with Skip, and I’m still figuring it out. I would recommend HOing with someone and taking note of baits, weights, speeds, how far back, etc. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, as there are a lot of good people here willing to teach us relative newcomers.

My guess is that your probably 80 to 90% there, and I would keep it up. Read the boards here on a given time (fall, spring trophy, summer livelining, chumming, & LTG, etc) and try and get a gist of what seems to be working where.

Sometimes its just blind dumb luck, or the lack thereof. We took 2 trips for flounder to Cornfield late last summer, caught only dinks and bluefish biteoffs, and I’m convinced that we were doing everything right and at the right place. Not one keeper, zero, zip, nada, zippy. I shall return to Cornfield next summer, and I will try the exact same thing (plus have a backup plan, like a daytime croaker hole scooped out).

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Oh my, now I feel horrible.......Michael came in the house as you got here and asked me if I minded if he went fishing with you because HE REALLY JUST WANTED TO GO FISHING, nothing to do with pity or anything like that. With all I have going on here trying to get my parent's house finished and getting them moved and all that goes with that I said "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR FREAKING MIND!" He really, really, really just wanted to go be with a fishing buddy and fish. I was the wench who stopped him. Man, now I feel bad....... even though I really need him to help me that day...............Christy

·
Registered
502 Posts
Dog, was it just one of those days that help keep you humble or are you getting the s__t kicked out of you all the time. We started fishing our own boat a little less than two years ago. Between advice from friends and the guys @ Tidalfish we do pretty good. Not as good as the guys who REALLY got the number on it but all in all pretty good. if you are getting a regular pounding mail me and I can fill you in on what we learned so far

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
mike if i were you i would hurry up and get the dishes done, scrub the toilets, vaccumm, and dust, ......eat all your veggies, and she MIGHT let you go, maybe:D:D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I certainly do appreciate all this outpouring of sympathy, but I have to tell you its kind of misguided. Everybody seems to think I was actually trying to catch fish. Maybe all those Shimano two speeds and hand made rods I got up on that custom designed hardtop give folks the wrong impression. And some of the posters seem to take me for a novice, as if you could ride around all day sneaking up on people to see 'em catch fish without practice. Hell I have a lot of practice. Why just the week before last down there at Buzz's I went out for a couple hours on that Saturday that everybody caught all them fish. I even think one of them critters tried to bite one of my pretty lures. I snatched it away from him real quick.

But that fished scared me, so I hightailed it back in and pulled up to the ramp feeling like I had dodged a bullet for sure. There was a bunch folks over at the cleaning station complaining about all the mess on their boats and there was Christy and she hollers over to me how you'd do? And I am not one to boast or lie, but sometimes you just got to exaggerate some, so I hollered back, "never touched a one." I don't know what Christy was thinking, but she looked at me as if I was registered sex offender in a playground and said for all to hear, "you'll have to leave."

Well I showed her, I came back and did it again. And I am planning to triplicate this feat come Sunday, even if have to bring my own water to get out of that skinny creek.

·
Registered
678 Posts
GOD I've been in that boat too many times... It'll drive you crazy... Dayz like that I normally catch up on scrubbing the deck and cleaning stuff while I drag stuff around behind the boat :)

Keep at it.

Good luck

·
Registered
155 Posts
gooddog, youve got the stink of death on your boat. i have the same problem now with my skiff. i go out on my other boat, a loud diesel workboat, tie a hook to an old toothbrush and can only keep one rod in the water since they bite so fast... take the skiff out monday and was all over the channel edge from red76-72 for 4 hours.... not a pulldown. ended up going in to tong some oysters so I didnt starve.

the only way to get the stink of death off is to work it off... may be 2 days, may be 10- but you just got to go out and de-stink it... go out there and keep the lines in the water, just wait for the stink to leave and then you will get the big fish

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The stink of death...I like that. I called St Mary's Animal Control looking for relief but they said skunks from Virginia were an invasive species they weren't budgeted to deal with. So I'll try your approach procrabber. Fish till you drop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts