Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about 240 6ft1 and would like to get a yak for floating and fishing. I have looked on line and seen the Malibu x factor extreme and looks good but i dont know much about them. Any help would be appreciated.

David Willis

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Willis,

Check out this site;

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/choosing_a_fishing_kayak.asp

They have an articles section that you can read and on the main Forums section there's all sorts of stuff about kayaking by people from all over the country.

There's a lot of good information posted there and lots of stuff to buy. However, the best prices in the area are at Appomattox River Company just off Victory Blvd in Yourk County about a mile from I-64.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As sandtiger said, check out that site. I'm 6'3 275 and fish out of a 12 ft WS Tarpon 120. Its weight capacity is around 375. Saem as 14 and 16 ft. The Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 holds 400 as is very light and comfortable. Check Appomatax or Wild River outfitters for their demo days, or stop by www.tkaa.org and you can try out different kayaks that club members have.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys i have narrowed my search down to theOcean Kayak Prowler 13 angler or the Tarpon 140. I plan on using this boat on the uperJames for smallmouth fishing and an occasional trip to watchpreage for some flounder.

Please help any advice between the two would be greatly appreciated. I want to order in the next few days.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Willis,

Don't get the T-14. You are on the edge of being to heavy for it. The Prowler 13 is a good choice. Also, I wouldn't want anything 14' for use in smallmouth rivers. To long, you won't be able to turn it to avoid the rocks and you will get caught in currents. I took my OK Caper to the New River and it was perfect. It was 11'. The P 13 is perfect. If you really want a Tarpon, get the 12'. Also, you might want to check out the OK Drifter. It is plenty big for saltwater too.

Tom

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was leaning in the direction of the P-13 and will probably be the boat i order. The only negative i have heard is they dont hold up on rocky bottoms as well as some others.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The ocean kayaks are thin walled (this maked them lighter). If you can wait until the spring you should paddle different models at a Demo. Jeff Suber is a big guy and loves his Tarpon 120.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I know that bassmanpete had a Caper and the rocks wore a hole in his around the scupper hole because the plastic sits out in that location. If the scupper holes are recessed (don't know) in the P-13 I wouldn't worry about it. Even if WS kayaks have thicker plastic, they have had a whole host of problems with their quality lately (leaks in brand new boats, hulls separating, etc.). I'm not putting WS down, I paddle a Tarpon 160i and love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything but I wish I still had my Caper to go with it.

You could also look at the Hobie Quest 13. It is a little pricey but has some really nice bells and whistles the others don't.

Good luck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys, talked with appomatox outfitters in farmville Va. and ordered the p-13 angler Olive drab . Cant wait to get hooked. By the way i would reccomend that company to anyone the buying experience was great and didnt have to haggle to get a better price than ive seen anywhere else. Once i get it rigged ill post a pic but here is an example of it in the rough.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Willis,

Appomattox River Co. is awesome. They will not haggle with you and all you have to tell them is a price list and they will assist you. I have gotten all my yak's there. A wonderful group of people especially...Vikki. They have good demo days at the James and other areas. You can catch demo day annoucements in the"Style" magazine or go on their website www.paddleva.com
800-442-4837

I can not make up my mind either on a yak.

'Andrea
Happy B-day to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.