Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
This was my report for Piney Point, MD this week: Made the trip down and fished Monday and Tuesday. Monday I Got no love to speak of at the oil docks, the obstructions in front of the bridge or at St George's bar. Did hook up with a mackerel when I tossed a white bucktail into some fish I saw chasing and breaking on bait fish but lost him near the boat. Changed tactics late afternoon and moved inside the bridge and got onto some croaker at or near keeping size (11-12") plus a couple small flounder, small sea bass, a king william perch, and some keeper spot. Was just drift fishing along channel edges with bloodworm bites and got most fish in 10-11' of water. Tuesday went out early morning just inside the bridge and got some more croaker, a keeper spot, a couple more small sea bass and small flounder plus a 10" grey trout. I ended up keeping the spot and five croaker that were 10-12" - years ago I threw back croaker larger than that but wanted some fish. Went back late afternoon and fished a different area along the channel directly in front of the hotel there. Caught 4 more small sea bass, a couple 10"+ white perch, three keeper spot, more croaker with the best in the 10-12" range, an oyster toad and another 10" grey trout and small flounder. Of that bunch I kept five of the largest croaker, the white perch and the keeper spot. Honestly we caught way more croaker than anything else but most were in the 6-10" range. Did not catch many spot at all but the ones we did catch were big. Same with white perch. For that portion of the trip we used bloodworm bites and squid. They were in 9-12' of water and the last couple hours before sunset things really turned on then stopped suddenly so I headed to the hotel to avoid the strom that was coming in. Wednesday the tide was almost slack, no wind and hot as blazes so we decided to forego fishing. If anyone has any questions hit me up. Would love to hear from anyone else who fished the area and if you had any luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Most have moved on to various Facebook groups now. About 6 or 7 years ago this page was active, but people have gradually moved on elsewhere. Partly because the anonymity here afforded people here to act like asses towards others who posted. Whereas on Facebook groups, your identity is there for all to see. The Virginia Beach Inshore Fishing group seems to be pretty active these days.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am thinking about spending a few days down there wanted to ask how much is it to use the boat ramps down there? Is there more than one ramp in the city?
There is a public boat ramp that looks like it is free right near the bridge and just before you get to the hotel. Looked like a real nice facility and there was plenty of parking the days I was there. I didn't use the ramp as I took my boat down there from Aquia Creek but it looked nice. I did not notice any signs about charges or fees to use the ramp. That was the only ramp I saw down there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There is a public boat ramp that looks like it is free right near the bridge and just before you get to the hotel. Looked like a real nice facility and there was plenty of parking the days I was there. I didn't use the ramp as I took my boat down there from Aquia Creek but it looked nice. I did not notice any signs about charges or fees to use the ramp. That was the only ramp I saw down there.
Thanks for the info. I will call ahead and talk to someone at the hotel. Aquia Creek is that the campground next to the 301 bridge?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fished Saturday at Point Lookout for the first time. Got there about 0900 and got some fish right away drifting bottom rigs near the entrance to Lake Conroy by the fish traps. Mostly small spot, three nice kingfish, couple small flounder and small sea bass. We drifted along and over the bar got nothing, tried several other spots and got nothing so we went back to the Lake entrance and got on more spot, sea bass and flounder but nothing big. Came back Sunday and started at the Lake entrance again and got more of the same spot, couple small flounder, small sea bass or two. We also fished on the bar (only caught three puffer fish there) and hit some humps right off the point where we caught a ton of small sea bass (8-10") and a couple nice spot in about an hour plus another puffer fish or two. Sunday evening went back to Piney Point on the east side across from the hotel and caught 7 keeper spot, a couple keeper white perch, a small grey trout, two small king William perch, a lizardfish and 6-8 small croaker. Seemed blood worm fish bites and squid were the best baits. Monday morning tried around Piney Point and got one puffer fish so moved up river to St Mary's Island and got not a bite in half an hour, then moved up to Swan Point south of 301 bridge and caught 11 catfish in the 16-27" range, a couple keeper white perch, a keeper spot and a keeper croaker and a bunch of undersized white perch and few undersized spot. Kept three catfish, two white perch, one spot and one croaker out of that bunch. We were drifting with squid using double drops and fish finder rigs.

Tried using flounder rigs and paddle tails at each of our stops but nothing was hitting either. I also did not see any breaking blues or macks anywhere we went - I had a spoon and a white bucktail on larger rods ready in case I saw working birds or breaking fish but we never saw any. Would have liked a blue or mackerell but altogether we caught 11 different species of fish over three days and had great weather so no complaints!

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
The online attacks are one thing, but I think the biggest factor is that there were thousands and thousands of "lurkers" - those who just came here to find out where members were fishing.

So you post that I got some nice fish at "X" and the next day, there are fifty guys sitting at "X", and then getting nasty that you are in THEIR spot. Nobody needs that kind of hassle.

I've been around since the Worldwide Angler days, and I rarely visit anymore. Nice to see some of the old crew still around, though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts