Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hoped this day would never come but it arrived much faster than I ever thought it would. After 13 short years my faithful and loving birdog Gunner is losing his battle against kidney and liver failure. His time is now measured in hours not days. Ive spent the last 6 days staying close to him and watching him closely. He is comfortable now and I will make sure he will continue to be. I have a vet that is ready to come to the house if needed, everything is already arranged, so I feel better about that. Im just really going to miss him.
He goes everywhere with me, work, boat, bars, etc. He is an excellent first mate.He helped me so much during my divorce last year and is always there to make me happy and feel better no matter where I have been and what Ive done. I know I will heal, but it really hurts. Im sorry but I just wanted to share this with my TF brothers. Youall understand what Im going through. I just dont want to think about opening day without him! SORRY

Jeff

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
Jeff, I know exactly how you are feeling. I lost my Lab at 13 1/2 last year also right after a divorce. You have had him a long time and gave him a GREAT life. All you can do now is comfort him as he has done to you over the years. It's a special bond that has run it's course. I would suggest getting another dog but NEVER compare them to each other. I hope you both find peace soon.Cherish the memories............Gary

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss - we do form close bonds with our hunting dogs, don't we?

what kind of dog is he? Not too many bird dogs around here......

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost your best friend. Many here understand how you feel. We had to put down our yellow lab Gus in 2008 and we still miss him. At the time, we got a lot of condolences from TFers which really helped us get through. Here's little thing one of my friends sent.

Gus

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS . . .

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you kick me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
lost an old Hound no one would help .. He showed up on my doorstep more or less in dire need of food and help. He was the ugliest dog you ever seen.. ( Briard) .. Look like something out of a Horror story and at 165lbs he was intimidation just sitting there.. He was approx 12 when he showed up and lasted another 3 years... He also gave me and my kids the best memeories you could ask for in that timeframe.. Became a protector of my kids, never left their side. Faithful to me and always had a watchful eye around us.. WHo could abandoned such a great Dog.. I took him in and it was the best thing I ever did.. We had to put him down in 09 as he could no longer stand on his own.

In a few short years Dakota found piece and a Family and to this day we Owe him not the other way around...
Not to many words that will make you feel better except to look at what you and Gunner have shared... It was special times never to be forgotten ...
We are very sorry but as all Of us Man or animals our time has to come .... Don't torture yourself with Memories ... I'm sure Gunner would not want you to Suffer in any way..
just smile and know he is running amuck chasing what ever he chooses...

Jay

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
84 Posts
lost my retriever,columbo after 14 years. if he could have talked and drove he would have been the perfect hunting companion.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'm telling you - it's worse than losing a distant relative. My dad had to put his lab down in August, first time in my 30 years i've ever seen him cry.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Said goodbye to my Lab Dixie in November (2 weeks shy of 15 yrs). Was a rough couple of days but kind words from TFers made it easier . Folks here are with you in thoughts & prayers. No shame in shedding a tear for a dog. " If there are no dogs in heaven- when I die I want to go where they go ."

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Jeff,

I feel for you in a big way. Our pets are our best friends. I lost a great cat that kept me company for 14 years right after I lost my Mom. My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your pet.

Don

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unconditional love...so rare and wonderful in this world, sorry for your loss

Just lost my pup 12/29.....still hurts but it gets a little better each day. Cried my eyes out.....hang in there, our thoughts and prayers are with you....

·
Registered
236 Posts
His name was Grady. Big black male Lab. I lost him 7/23/10 after 12 yrs. He knew me better than any person has ever known me. I have tears in my eyes now as I write this and will miss him forever. My heart goes out to you!!!!! I have his nephew waiting for me to come home. Time and another best friend will help. I wish you the best!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jeff, Sorry to hear about it.. It just sucks.

Losing your Best friend turns men into pussies.

All you can do at this point is honor his loyalty with the "right decision" at the "right time". Don't be selfish, in the process.

Individual cremation, handsome cherry wood box, his name engraved. Display it proudly.

I have three of them.

And for Gods sake, don't read " Rainbow Bridge".

·
Registered
245 Posts
Very moving thoughts guys. I've been through this a few times. The last time I put a dog down it was with my wife and two little girls by my side. That was a very sad day but one we faced as a family. Wish I had something comforting to say but the only thing I can come up with is a question I have pondered because of it's poignancy. Why do you think the word God is dog spelled backwards? Have you ever known an unconditional love like that of our creator or a dog?

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
Ain't no shame shedding tears when you have to put a dog down.

Comfort him as best you can - nothing else you can do.

He'll let you know when it is time - not sure how they know , but they do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts