Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have met Micheal (Big Mke) through Snood Fests or crab events, or even on the water with me over the years. Sadly, Mike passed away this week.

In reflection, it dawned on me that Michael and I fished/crabbed together more than 2500 times over the years. As you can imagine, there’s a lifetime of memories that I’ll never forget.

Here's one in particular that I supplied at the eulogy. If you knew Mike, you'll understand:

It was a typical July Saturday for Michael and me back in the early 1980’s, as we headed down to Kent Narrows with boat in tow. We headed out to our favorite spot in 3ft of water just off the main channel, and threw over the anchor. Michael took his usual spot in front, up on the bow, sitting on the cooler. I was in the back casting to the shore line when all of the sudden I heard Michael yell “whoa”. I quickly turned to see him diving off the front of the boat into a 4ft rouge wave that was coming our way. The wave went by as Michael was standing there in 3ft of water.

“What the hell was that I asked?”

So he says, “Well I figured there was too much weight on the bow with me on it, and I didn’t want to lose the beer cooler.”

"That's great, but where are your friggin shorts?”

Yup, he lost his drawers when he dove through the wave. Never did find em. We spent the rest of the day fishing , me wearing an old pair of dried up plastic rain pants, and him wearing my shorts that were four sizes too small (he was 6ft 5). Not a pleasant sight I’m sure, especially back at the boat ramp.

Yup, that was Mike. He will be missed.

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
2,500 trips together - wow , that is one heck of a fishing buddy.

Sucks to lose such a great friend like that - they are tough to come by.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hard to replace your best fishing buddy. I lost mine also. I just remember the fun we had and know he's got the boat warmed and waiting on me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.