Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. How about this for a can of worms.

I have 7 full time employees that I supervise directly. Two male, rest female. Total employees under me about 60. Probably 75% female.

Considering just the females that I supervise directly, I've lost well over a year's worth of a full-time position due to child care, maternity, 'feminine health issues', and the like. One staff for a whole year.

Don't get me wrong, they are amazing at what they do and I'm as supportive as I can be to keep them around since in my field, that's just how the numbers shake out. But good lord, one of them just requested 5 weeks off for a surgery to let her get pregnant, of course taking her out of her job for another two months at least when she has her baby, then God knows how much time for all the visits, 'bed rest' before delivery, etc, etc.

Anybody else in my shoes?

There really are days when I think that if I could hire ONLY men for these jobs, I would, simply because I could hire an EXTRA man, and the cost/productivity ratio would be the same as having to pay for a full-time female vacancy for a year. And, it's illegal to suspend their pay (FMLA) while they're out

Thoughts?

I know I'm a sexist pig, but I'm just talking about numbers here. Just sucks. It's really cutting into my fishing time

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
If you have 70 people working under you, and it takes 7 minutes to take a ****, and everyone craps at work... you are paying for one full time employee to just schit all day.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If your guys dont produce, and she wants to take time off for insemination....well......im sure between the two male employees they could do SOMETHING right.-Tell her you care about the 'total emotional needs' of your employees.

You know im just joking. I had to fire a guy once because he took so much time off "mourning the loss of his dog."

Women generally know a good thing when they have it, unlike us. If you think she is planning on staying for the long term, it is probably worth it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
TT are you able to hire new people? If you can, establish an attendance policy that will limit the number of days absent to a reasonable number and keep track of each employees days off. Then as one approaches the too many mark give them a verbal warning. After the next time make it a written warning. After the next time make it a written warning and three day suspension. The next time can them. You won't have a problem with the employment commission it you handle it on a progressive basis and have the records to back it up.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Dave... you need to brush up on your employment law...

Once you reach 50 people it's a whole new ball game, thanks to people you have hired...(read in elected)

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Ask Dave... he knows all about family and medical leave... he fought many of those battles and won them all.

You can't swing a dead cat around here without hitting a capt. or self pro-claimed expert... TT you hit the daily double with Dave.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Don't hire any more females of child bearing age. Let attrition take care of the rest.

P.S. Don't give me a reverse age discrimination thing - just make up a credible story.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I'm in the same situation and the corporate EEO police watch every hiring decision I make. It's a tough call when you have deadlines worth millions/billions of $$, and can't hire additional staff without adequate budget, and can't plan when someone decides to family leave. Corporate downsizing (rightsizing) doesn't take this in to account. The end result is that I'm currently experiencing mass exodus because everyone's burned out from picking up the load. The cycle continues - now who to hire to start the cycle over. And back to budgets, no budget to train new hires for a specialized field that usually takes me a year or more to fill. I plan to retire in 6 years[excited].

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Sluggo, you ding bat, I was talking about absenteeism not family leave. Why don't you read the print before you operate your dumbness finger.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]TroutThink originally wrote:

one of them just requested 5 weeks off for a surgery to let her get pregnant, of course taking her out of her job for another two months at least when she has her baby, then God knows how much time for all the visits, 'bed rest' before delivery, etc, etc.

And, it's illegal to suspend their pay (FMLA) while they're out

[/Q]You need to brush up on your FMLA, TT. It does NOT cover the surgery you described. Also, when FMLA is used, it allows for only UNPAID time off.

·
Registered
485 Posts
[Q]fishfool originally wrote:
If your guys dont produce, and she wants to take time off for insemination....well......im sure between the two male employees they could do SOMETHING right.-Tell her you care about the 'total emotional needs' of your employees.

You know im just joking. I had to fire a guy once because he took so much time off "mourning the loss of his dog."

Women generally know a good thing when they have it, unlike us. If you think she is planning on staying for the long term, it is probably worth it.
[/Q]Fishfool, you won't believe this but I was working offsite all this past week and my buddy called me laughing his butt off at a guy in our publications department that called in for the same thing. Can you imagine....doggie bereavement?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I wonder how much productivity was lost due to the Super Bowl? Let's see...first there was all the pools. There are about 800 people in my building and there must have been at least a dozen pools and guys running around selling boxes on the sheets all day long!

And, then there are the ones that didn't show up for work on Monday.

Now, we're an equal rights organization so everyone has the same time available. When you start, you get 3 weeks FTO. That's Flexible Time Off. You want it for surgery, go ahead. You want it for Super Bowl, that's just fine. But; no matter what happens you ONLY GET 3 WEEKS WITH PAY. After that you're on your own.

One of my gals pays alimony to her ex! One of the guys, his wife is a VP of a bank. Guess who stays home with the sick kids.

Sheesh!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts