Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the B-mails about my lost trailer tire.I've trailer boats since I was 17 - that makes 28 years.I have never had a tire/rim come off.I highly suspect the lugs were loosened at Sandy Point last week.No I can not prove it but seems odd to have a tire come off like that.I service my bearings/brakes myself and last time that tire was off was in August.It was one that had been punctured by a vandal.

Sad thing is- if it was someone trying to get at me, they easily could have killed some innocent person.The tire/rim weigh about 50 lbs - picture that coming through your windshield :eek2:.It was still dark out when it came loose.

Fellow TFer Mlag (Mark) works near where I lost it and spent his lunch hour looking for it. THANKS :thumbup: - I owe you one.No idea where it ended up - I'm thankful no one was hurt.I'm glad the driver flagged me down - no way could one tire support the load for much longer.

Tire was lost on southbound Rt. 3 near Rt. 450 west.I'll be notifying Sandy Point - perhaps someone saw something.Like I said- I can not be 100% sure the lugs were loosened but it sure seems that way.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Nothing but trees and a couple gas stations in that area, that tire/rim is probably tucked away in the woods pretty good. Good thing is that is was early and not in a residential area.

I can't imagine why someone would do things like flatten tires and loosen lug nuts, must be a real *******. Maybe post a pic of your rig so that guys can help keep an eye on it for you when they're launching/retrieving at Sandy Point. If guys knew what your set-up looks like then I'm sure they would take a glance at it while launching/retrieving.

-JB

·
Registered
412 Posts
Skip,

That is a damn shame. It is one thing to "knife" a tire, key a door, but another to put lives in danger. A tire and wheel coming off the trailer at any speed has to be considered a deadly weapon. Now maybe, I doubt it, but just maybe this ....head will realize they have taken in a tad to far and put and their criminal acts before someone gets hurt. Glad everything is good with everything without injury and damage.

Ken

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Chances are very good, that tire is well in the woods somewhere. I once had a tire come off on me and that thing passed me like I was standing still.:yes: By design, most rims are heavier in the front so they will veer off away from the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
If you are at Sandy Point that early in the AM you need to swipe in, it might help to contact S.P. and let them know whats up. They might be able to see WHO swiped in that AM. They might have security cams. as well.
Good Luck

TED

·
Registered
71 Posts
I "caught" a tire in the windshield when i was 17. I was driving a 79 Suburban. It fell out from under a pickup that was several cars in front of me. I think it bounced over the first car, 2nd car swerved, I had nowhere to go. The truck was going in the same direction as me... it just bounced the right way to start a bouncing roll. I was going maybe 60, braked to maybe 30 and the tire was bouncing/rolling along at say 10 mph. It hit me square in the windshield, dead center. Windshield exploded, caved in my roof, pulled my A-pillars inwards and caused a funny brown stain on the drivers seat :) The amount of damage it did, considering we were both going in the same direction was astounding.

I cut out the A & B pillars, cut the roof off, went to a junk yard and did the same. Welded it all back together... a little brazing, and she was good as new (old). Truck had a 454 with 3 on the tree. I miss 99c gas.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
If vandalism, what a cowardly act.

I'm gonna pass on a bit of good Eastern Shore Wisdom given me in the early 70's:

"The Bigger the Wheel, the Easier for the Dog to Piss On It."

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Skip -- You of ALL people don't deserve **** like this! My vote is vandalism, pure and simple. I just don't see you missing something like loose lug nuts especially with all the posts you've made about trailer maintamance. I hope somehow that whoever is doing this is caught before someone gets killed or seriously hurt.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Skip,
I hardly ever add my .02 anymore but your story is flat out crazy. If someone did that... man.. they deserve to be put in jail. Slashing a tire is one thing... it's sitting there.. flat as a pankcake and you know what you are dealing with. Loosening the lugs on your trailer tire will get someone killed. It goes way beyond standard vandalism.
You travel with your son and father... christ.. what if one of them got hurt?
I'd seek professional help ASAP... inform the cops... hire a PI.. do whatever you have to. This doesn't seem like it is getting any better. What's next? I mean... it's escalating already.. what won't these people do?

Best of luck Skip... no one deserves what you've been through. It's shameful.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Skip,
Someone did this to my dad in DC once. They loosened the lug nuts on his truck and as he merged on the beltway, it went rolling in front of him and crossed under the guard rail into oncoming traffic. Luckily it did not hit anyone.

If that wasn't bad enough, as he was going across the beltway to pick it up, another truck pulled over, threw it inside and took it right in front of my dad's eyes! He just couldn't get across the beltway to stop them

That's a scary story, bud. I guess you need to start locking everything. It's a shame that's what everything is coming to these days.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Skip,

Glad to hear there were no injuries or property damage done. Man, you have certainly had your share of tire issues here lately.

Shawn F

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I would buy a few motion cameras and place them around the truck. They are pretty cheap and maybe you can catch the person doing this BS! And then we all can kick the $hit out of them.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
as with the other posters, WHAT THE F MAN!! did you get closure on the tire slashing incident? There are some wacked out people out there, what are they trying to do/prove/accomplish.

TIGHT LINES!!!

better yet...

TIGHT LUGS!!!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Skip when did you have it out last when them POS hit your neighbor's van do you think they would have messed with the boat or was it in the garage??? Just remember that you told me that last time we fished. Yeah my brain runs slow try not to overheat it

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can not thank all of you enough for the support and ideas.

My boat is stored in a locked garage - so the vandal is getting to my trailer at Sandy Point.The DNR has been way beyond helpful - they reviewed hours of tape but the cameras did not show the area I was parked in.

The tires being punctured was 100% vandalism and a police report is filed.

The trailer tire coming loose is hard to say- just odd it has never happened in the 17 years and thousands of miles I trailer each year.

I am putting in the motion detector cameras - if there is a next time, I'll have it caught by photo.

A little birdie gave me a very good idea of who it is - I just need to convince them to tell the police for me.

I'm hoping whoever it is realizes what could have happened if that tire had slammed into another vehicle.All of a sudden trying to get at me killed an innocent person - real funny then.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The same thing happened to me in June. I left SP and the tire flew off on I-695 near Linthicum. I was lucky (it was rush hour) and it rolled up against the Jersey wall and came to a stop. God only knows where the lugs nuts hit. I am convinced someone either vandalized the wheel or was trying to steal a tire and got scared off.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
'The DNR has been way beyond helpful - they reviewed hours of tape but the cameras did not show the area I was parked in"

Skip - Sorry about what happened but why not just park in the area where the cameras are aimed?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts