Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original plan for the day was to head south down to Bloody Point in search of bigger fish but when I poked my nose out the Magothy and saw 1 to 2 with a couple 3's mixed in I immediately scratched it and decided to give the shipping channel out front a go. I had fished it Monday on someone elses boat and got a couple mid 20's grade fish so I figured I would give it a go. I got my planers out and deployed a 15 rod spread. I picked one 23 off as I was deploying and another 23 about 45 minutes later. We made it up to the mouth of the Patapsco before turning around headed back towards the Magothy with the waves thinking hopefully we pick up 2 more before we get back and we have to pull in. I was zigzagging the channel and saw a huge ship approaching so I figured I would hug the side until he went by. Well thats when all hell broke loose. Just as the ship got to us, 9 or 10 (not really sure it was so chaotic) of my rods go down, there was just 2 of us on board so I had to come up with a plan fast of what we were going to do. I put the boat on a straight course into the 4 to 5 foot wake of the ship and engaged my autopilot before starting by pulling in the 2 deep rods to get them out of the way, one had a fish so we got it up and back in the drink it went. Next was 2 boat rods off the back, one of those had a fish as well so we pulled those in and back in the drink that went. I had another on my WWB but that wasnt going to get in the way so I left him out, that was a spoon with a swordfish skin trailer. With the deck cleared and rods stowed we then went after the planer board rods, some had unclipped but others had not, I had to set them further back in because the waves had unclipped some earlier. I fish all tandems off my boards so a couple of the rods had 2 fish a piece on them. It was really funny having other boats go past us and Im taking multiple fish off the rod and immediately putting them back in the water. In order to keep the deck clean I decided we were just going to wrap up the gear as we brought the fish in and put them away. Amazingly we didnt lose any fish. They hit bucktails, they hit chutes, they hit umbrellas, they hit 6 and 9 inch shads, they hit spoons with strips of swordfish skins on them, I must have just hit that school just right which hasnt been my luck as of late so it was a nice change. Smallest fish was 20 with the biggest being at 32 and most of the fish were over 26. You know you go fishing with people sometimes and you get the "you should of been here yesterday" or "its going to be better tomorrow" well for once I was able to get them on that magical inbetween day and it was just as amazing as I thought it could be

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Sounds like a fun time. I was down at Balto Light jigging around 7am but the fish in the channel were mid column and drifting 2.7mph wasn't cutting it. Running 17 miles back north in that slop was interesting....and wet.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like my trip down to Parkers Creek 2 weeks ago when I decided to run south for the Coconut Charlies tournament, a flat bay turned into 1 to 2 and it was bumpy coming back up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was the sailfish immediately next to you. We picked up a 24 inch rock at the same time as you. Only one Rod went down on our boat at the same time. It was fun to watch. Tried to circle around and run over the spot. did not pick up anything 2 passes. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Awesome report. Any idea of the approximate depth you were in when you had the rods go down? I've never heard of swordfish skins. Have you had good success using them? Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to say I was in about 35 feet, as to the swordfish skins I'm not sure. I had a guy come out on my boat and brought some with him so I put a 9 inch strip on a 6 inch gold spoon and wished it the best of luck on my WWB. It hit but so did everything else so take that for what it's worth

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
That's a helluv a story. Thanks for the write up, and congratulations.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
502 Posts
What a great report. I was out around lunch and as soon as I switched to the 6onch stuff I got them pretty d
Steady. I a
Was on 20ft of water. Spoons were most productive. Got 6 22-26 in about 90 min

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was back out today and had a slow pick at them til we limited out at 2 with the biggest at 26. All fish except for 1 dink off a spoon on the WWB hit board rods

1 - 12 of 12 Posts