Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I took our two brittanys for a walk around 9am down to the public pier in our neighborhood where Knotts Creek meets the Nansemond and saw about an acre of Cormorants working the water with a few seagulls overhead. They were about 1/4 mile from the pier at the mouth of Knotts Creek. About another 1/2 mile out in the Nansemond there were what appeared to be about 5 acres of cormorants and gulls sitting on the water. My questions is, for the birds that were diving closer in, what would they likely be feeding on? I've never seen this much activity there, and never expected to see it in January. Any ideas?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's pretty interesting to hear, because I was out on the James River today on my boat enjoying the weather when we saw working gulls pretty close to shore in front of Riverside Beach (slightly upriver from the James River Bridge). We trolled and cast spoons around the birds and landed multiple schoolies before the school broke up. I did not expect to see that today, and was glad that we bothered to bring along a couple of rods.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
FRIDAY

afternoon coming accross the JR bridge lots of birds working just east of bridge about even with small boat channel

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was crossing the M&M today and saw several different areas of gulls working today. I guess that there is still plenty of baitfish in the rivers, and stripers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts