Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather certainly has fouled up the trophy season. Blowing today and ten to fifteen tomorrow and Thursday with t-storms and rain Saturday. Anyone remember a worse trophy season due to bad spring weather? Hopefully this did not mess up the spawn.

Registered
I actually like the rain because it keeps the competition at home. Not that it has been a problem lately since no one seems to want to fish.

Wind, on the other hand, totally ruins it for me due to my flat bottom boat,. And there has been an awful lot of wind lately.

Pat

Registered

Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
I actually like the rain because it keeps the competition at home. Not that it has been a problem lately since no one seems to want to fish.

Wind, on the other hand, totally ruins it for me due to my flat bottom boat,. And there has been an awful lot of wind lately.

Pat
I'm with you, I can do the rain but not the wind.

Premium Member
About 12 years ago - it rained almost every day of trophy season.
I can remember putting rain gear on in the house to go hook up trailer.
It was like Forrest Gump - every type rain there is. 3rd week of season the sun came out and everyone on VHF was teasing - what is that light in sky ?

Registered
I have been away from the chesapeake for about 10 yrs for work was looming forward to this trophy season back home. Spent many seasons captain/mating charterboats prior to 10 yrs ago and can honestly say I can't believe how bad the fishing is. Sure some boats are picking up 1 or 2 and the beat charters may see 4 on a good day with 30 rods.. I've been out of the deale md area 4x 18 rods 0 fish not a knock down or undersized. Calvert cliffs power plant to near bloody and everywhere in-between. I'm no stranger to this fishery really disappointing..

Registered
I have been away from the chesapeake for about 10 yrs for work was looming forward to this trophy season back home. Spent many seasons captain/mating charterboats prior to 10 yrs ago and can honestly say I can't believe how bad the fishing is. Sure some boats are picking up 1 or 2 and the beat charters may see 4 on a good day with 30 rods.. I've been out of the deale md area 4x 18 rods 0 fish not a knock down or undersized. Calvert cliffs power plant to near bloody and everywhere in-between. I'm no stranger to this fishery really disappointing..
SAME HERE BEEN HOURS WITH 4 RODS AND NOTHING

Registered
Trophy season is over as it was once known. It will have to be closed permanently or it will be the end of Stripers altogether in the near future and that might not even work. The Chesapeake Bay is the primary spawning ground on the East Coast. If we don't have successful spawning, nothing will materialize .

Registered
Trophy season is over as it was once known. It will have to be closed permanently or it will be the end of Stripers altogether in the near future and that might not even work.
No, striped bass aren't salmon, they don't come back to their birth streams. Yes, the numbers are way down in the bay, but the reasons are more about the habitat and climate and their effect on the spawn than the number of spawners. The entire west coast population was established with one or two dumping of a few hundred or thousand juveniles. These things are like roaches, you can't exterminate them, believe me, I've seen hundreds of guys that are really good at killing these things trying for decades. While the biomass is down from the late 90s early 2000s, there are plenty of fish range wide, and they have spread further north more and more every year. The fishing up north this spring has been really, really good.

Registered
More will be harvested than reproduced through poor spawning and we will reach diminished returns That simple.
According to all parties tasked with Striped Bass "management" the diminished returns are already happening, it's just that the user group that has been fingered for the greatest responsibility for this still refuse to accept responsibility.
Factor in forage and spawning habitat issues and here we are.

Registered
More will be harvested than reproduced through poor spawning and we will reach diminished returns That simple.
I dont see how this would be true. Like @Market Price said "the reasons are more about the habitat and climate ", its likely the environment that is causing some of the migratory fish choosing to spawn in other areas and not coming up as far into the Mid bay tributaries. Most reports we get from each other on this site is from Popular Island on North. We do not hear hardly and reports from Chesapeake beach on South on this website. Seems the North has taken over on here.

I can not compare what the fishing was like 10-20 years ago because I did not fish as much and did not keep any records. I started fishing around 1999 when croakers where 20-23'' catching them in Colonial Beach. I have not seen croakers like that since. Maybe its just a cycle that we do not know about when the fish are heavy in our area.

Registered
I am not out in the Bay trolling for the big girls - never did - I don't even have rods for that. Thirty inch fish get me excited. Used to catch a whole mess of those but it is much harder now. Much harder.

Matt and I went out after the wind died down yesterday. Freaking wind has been relentless. The wind and super high tides pretty much shut down the bite. Matt had a couple of new lures he was hot to use so we gave it a shot. We only caught three fish all night but Matt's two new lures caught the biggest. The red and white lure he was calling a Hydro Minnow and the other lure, a big fat articulated swimmer he called a Headhunter (I think). His fancy new lures caught the two biggest. Pretty sure it was even 30 inches or more. Yippee

Pat
Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Water Sky Boat Vertebrate Fisherman

Registered
All is not lost. There should be plenty of 30in. Blue Cats available . No limits, no closed seasons. They could become the new State Fish . Instant year around Trophy season. According to a lot of fishermen, they taste better too. What more could you ask for?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts