Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple days late on this. Started the fishing day on Saturday at about 5 p.m. off Love Point. About an hour previously the water coming out of the Narrows was tossing like a bath tub and a good wind was kicking, but by the time we anchored up things had calmed down. We had been keeping a close eye on the weather as just a couple days prior the forecast called for better than a 60% of thunderstorms in the evening. It seemed that we lucked out because the skies were pretty clear but it was humid as all get out. (We would later watch a lot of heat lightning happening to the north.)

There were many boats anchored up and chumming with several boats trolling circles around the fleet and several dared to zig and zag their way through the fray. We laid out the chum bucket and chunked thawed alewife from a previous trip. Fresh bait was secured to circle hooks with slip sinkers. The tide table called for a low tide at about 3:30 ish at Love Point but the tide was still heading out after 5 p.m. Eventually the tide turned and we hooked up with six rockfish, the smallest being 12" and the largest at a too-close to call 20" so we tossed him back for good measure. We had also tossed soft crab on a bottom rig to fish right under the boat and outside of our slick, and we hooked up with a 15" rockfish.

At about 8 p.m. we were the third to last boat to leave the area and we sprinted toward Eastern Neck Island to throw some topwater and soft lures at a couple spots that are typically productive. I used a popper, a Kastmaster, and chartreuse lure on a 1/4" jig head, but nothing hit. At the same time we drifted soft crab and hooked up with small perch. The lack of bite was offset by the heat lightning show to the north and someone setting off large fireworks near Love Point.

After the big mosquitoes came out of Eastern Neck to feed on us, we traveled upriver to a favored fishing hole and switched gears to catfish. Nothing fancy as far as rigs go - slip sinker with a single decent sized hook. On a couple of the rigs I attached a light float to the leader to lift the bait off the bottom. We continued using fresh alewife and soft crab, and both were productive. I tried using the Berkley Gulp catfish nuggets for the third time without success. One would think third time is the charm with most things but not with this synthetic bait. All I have to show for using it is a leaked mess in my tacklebox. Forgetting about the failed experimental baits, the smallest catfish caught was 7 lbs. and the two largest near 10 lbs. -- very nice size for the upper Chester River.

RiverCat mentioned to me to try using chicken liver, but I didn't have the chance to stop at the store so I will try that this week sometime. My fishing partner said he was interested in trying it and had heard that using a stocking to keep the bait on your hook helps, so some experimentation may happen this week.

We packed up around 1:15 a.m. and made it back to the pier around 2 a.m.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for the detailed report. Sounds like a good time!! (Minus the mosquitoes of course).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Chicken livers in stockings.

Buy some cheap stockings/panty hose at wally world or dollar store.

Take one liver and drop it in to where the toe would be.

Tie one overhand knot right above the liver and cut off excess and set aside.

Tie another overhand knot to close off the hole you just made by cutting the excess.

Drop in another liver, and repeat tying knots etc...

Once you have finished with about a dozen rigs put them back in the liver contai er to absorb more blood.

For fishing this bait I prefer trebel hooks with a slip sinker above a swivel.

Hook the pre-rigged baits on the hook and cast away.

Remember to bring a sharp knife or scissors, panty hose stick on hooks like glue.

This is how I have catfished for many years (I also use clam snouts).

Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
Chicken livers in stockings.

Buy some cheap stockings/panty hose at wally world or dollar store.

Take one liver and drop it in to where the toe would be.

Tie one overhand knot right above the liver and cut off excess and set aside.

Tie another overhand knot to close off the hole you just made by cutting the excess.

Drop in another liver, and repeat tying knots etc...

Once you have finished with about a dozen rigs put them back in the liver contai er to absorb more blood.

For fishing this bait I prefer trebel hooks with a slip sinker above a swivel.

Hook the pre-rigged baits on the hook and cast away.

Remember to bring a sharp knife or scissors, panty hose stick on hooks like glue.

This is how I have catfished for many years (I also use clam snouts).

Mike
Thanks for the catfish bait tip. My boys have been wanting to target catfish and we are doing the Chester River Wine Mixer so need to figure it out. Any tips on how to pick a spot to target catfish would be awesome. I know they are all over the Chester... but where to start? And is current or tide important? Will they bite late morning?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I enjoyed the Chester River Wine Mixer a lot last year. My best friend and I collaborated to put up the largest catfish (just over 11 lbs.), second place for the tournament, and I think (?) we won the Calcutta. I was really looking forward to the event this year, but unfortunately this year we both must go to his sister's wedding - I can't wait until they ask for objections during the ceremony.

Locations around the Chester: explore the various fingers of water shooting off the tributaries of the Chester. You'll travel along in just a few feet of water and come around a bend and find yourself over a drop down to ten or maybe even as much as twenty feet. If you can find some trees overhanging such a spot or perhaps nearby fallen trees that give some structure for the catfish, that's even better. In a lot of these backwaters the tide doesn't roll very strong, but even just slight movement is better than a slack tide. Don't let the still water dissuade you from tossing lines though. And yes - they will bite late morning.

Best tip on location I can give you is if you don't have time to explore the nooks and crannies of the Chester, post up down current at the Chester River bridge in Chestertown. It is no secret that folks catch large catfish there that exceed ten pounds.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Great detailed report, thanks for taking the time to put it together. You're fishing my old stomping grounds:yes::rockingreport:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts