Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love Point is closer for me to fish but I've never fished there in the spring. What depth does everyone fish and what area do you concentrate in? If anyone has any other tips please share. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
fish are everywhere in the spring. I fish the channel and will go shallow if it gets crowded or I'm not getting results......................

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
Take time to study a chart of the Love Point area. You'll see the east side offers a very good sharp edge. Best to troll it on an east wind - a west wind can push you into too shallow a water fast. Make note of " obstructions " - some are very snaggy , best not to troll over these.

If we get a lot of rain and Susky is running hard - often debri / trash will make the east side tough to fish. The general area from LP marker up to Love Point is good - don't overlook a long east / west troll towards mouth of Magothy. Some years the fish will be over that flat area - it stays 30 feet or so all the way across. Go across ship channel - it's narrow here - then turn , west side shallows up quickly.

Once north of Love Point / mouth of Chester - it gets tricky to stay in deep water. Again - pre plan by looking at charts.

I've done well with deep umbrellas in this area - fishing them near bottom.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Generally, in the spring, the big rock will run in the top 1/3 of the water column. Always have some lures in the 0-15 foot range. With that said, some of my largest rock have come on my down deep lures. Don't catch as many on those, but seems when one gets on set at 30-45 ft down, it's a hog.

Depending on the weather, my most memorable rockfish hogs have been caught in very shallow water very late in the day/evening or early in the morning before the sun comes up. We get up in less than 8 ft or water, sometimes less than 5 ft, just off the channel edges (the entire area from Bloody Point light to Manapeake) is great for this. Before the sun comes up if you throw top water or flys in the shallows, you might be surprised at what is up on those shallow areas.

Catching a 40-50 inch rockfish on light tackle with top water or fly rod, will make you sell every piece of trolling equipment you have...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts